Food question - how to????

• 4 Replies

Vi

Food question - how to????
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:23 »
Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your help with Goose and Duck.  I've now got a request for advice or suggestions.  I've been thinking about this for weeks but haven't yet come up with a solution so I'd like to see what you ladies and gents think.

I've got the three rescued chicks who are 10 weeks old-ish, one is definately a cockerel the other two appear to be hens so far, one definately, one i'm only pretty sure.  They need to be eating the growers pellets and they're NOT to be eating the layers mash.

I've got the three layers about 9 months old-ish who are all eating the layers mash as they should be and they're NOT to be eating the growers pellets.

All six birds free-range all day, unless we're not home then they're left in their runs with a bucket of freshly picked weeds and their respective feeds.

What i've been doing is locking up their runs while their free ranging and every couple hours putting them back in to have a feed of their mash or pellets.  this is fine for now but soon i'll have a newborn and this won't be a possibility.

My first question: How detrimental is it for them to eat the wrong food? i.e. chicks eating layers mash and layers eating growers pellets.

My second question: How do I allow them all day access to their feeds while free ranging if i can't allow them to eat the wrong feed?  If I leave it out for them Greedy Guts Duck will eat all of it and just get fat. (i've even had to seperate her for the day as she's become very agro this week)

Thanks heaps!
Vi

themagicaltoad1

Re: Food question - how to????
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 21:01 »
Hi Vi
Sounds like you're getting anxious about this. I wouldn't worry too much about the wrong birds eating the wrong pellets, if you have a mix of both available they're bound to have some of the correct ones. The growers pellets are designed to build up their weight and immunity, in a few weeks they'll all be on the same food anyway and you can do away with the growers pellets. Leave the run open so they can go in and feed when they want, they're browsers, they eat small and often, you might just have to accept that you're going to have one very fat chicken :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 21:19 »
i was to a bit worried about my babes eating layers mash at 10 -12 weeks old so i just mixed both growers with the mash , seing that the babes decided they were no longer going to stay within thier seprate bit of the run  and they are all fine now and hopfully ready to lay by the end of september .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

nimue4

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 22:38 »
Stupid as chickens are,. when it comes to food they're not as thick as humans. They eat what they need and will not eat burgers till they're 25 stone. lol. Don't worry. You may not get the ultimate amount of eggs for a while but does that really matter?

Vi

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 01:24 »
I was hoping you'd all say that!!! GREAT! I'll not worry about it anymore :)  All the warnings on the packets etc had me believing there would be huge problems if we let them eat the wrong food.  But then again, i do have an over developed sense of safety :) (that's P.C. for paranoid i think) :D

I'm not too worried about the amount of eggs.  They give us more than we really need anyway :)

Thanks heaps
Vi

xx
What fun! Also Food Question!

Started by hectorshome on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 13:29
by lukasmum
xx
Food quantity question

Started by Zak the Rabbit on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 09:41
by Wildeone
xx
Daft newbie question about food

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 17:09
by muntjac
xx
ex bats food levels and malting question

Started by slurp on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 21:06
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 28 queries.