Hybrid chickens - question about laying?

• 1 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Hybrid chickens - question about laying?
« on: August 08, 2009, 15:50 »
Hi,

I have been to a poultry place this morning and they had some really lovely hens!  I did think I wanted a proper breed bird but having been I think I prefer the hybrid because they were all a bit smaller, they had orpingtons which were absolutely gorgeous but also enormous!

Having come back I've been looking on the net trying to find info about hybrid marans, only thing I have found so far (hybrids generally) is that they don't lay very well  after the first year?

Does anyone know what this actually means?  I presume you still get eggs but does the amount drop enormously?

I didn't think to ask while I was there!

Anyone also know what sort of temperament these birds are (maran hybrid)?  Generally having been round 3 different chicken suppliers all they ever seem to say is well if you treat birds right then they are all of good nature, which isn't exactly helpful but then I suppose they aren't really going to tell you they are going to peck you at every available opportunity either are they :o)

One place did say not to get leghorns to be fair because they flap in your face and aren't good with children.

Thank you.

nzdunn

Re: Hybrid chickens - question about laying?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 16:36 »
Just to answer your question about marans, i have cuckoo marans but they are pure bred, dont think there would be any difference in hybrid and pure bred temperment, but with mine i do find them a little bit flighty but thats all, certainly mine do not peck me, they have great characters and like to talk to you alot, i love them.    Ive just recently got a black rock hybrid, shes fantastic, very friendly.    NIckyx

xx
Broody hybrid not laying!!

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 10:51
by ANHBUC
xx
Egg-laying hybrid birds

Started by baffyboo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 08:58
by Casey76
xx
Hybrid hen - odd laying pattern

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 23:54
by Lindeggs
xx
any1 keep ross lohmann hybrid chickens??

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 09:05
by Vistarosa

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 36 queries.