Strawberry leaves - cutting back or not?

• 10 Replies

Zippy

Strawberry leaves - cutting back or not?
« on: August 07, 2009, 14:00 »
Hi. I have strawberry plants growing in an upturned composter. Fruit was great - slug free as they were four feet above the ground. Good harvest.

The question is - do I need to cut off the leaves now fruiting is over or is this not necessary? Why do we do this when I would have thought the plants could do with their leaves to help replenish their energies after all that fruiting?

Can the leaves be composted if they are not obviously diseased? I know some people do not for whatever reason.

Trillium

Re: Strawberry leaves - cutting back or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 17:37 »
Yes, cut-off non-diseased leaves can be composted.

As for the why of cutting off, these are now elderly leaves which the plant will try to shed anyway, so to keep things clean and healthy, clip them off. You'll find at the plant's crown a new cluster of leaves is already starting which will feed the plant for next year. Now is also the time to give the plants a good feeding (never during fruiting time) to give the plant its energy for next year, and keep them well watered. How you care for the plants now determines your crop for next year.

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 17:44 »
OOoo - thanks for that question - I didn't know that! :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 23:46 »
Yes, thanks for that info ... I didn't know about cutting off the leaves and I certainly did NOT know that I souldn't be feeding them during fruiting  :ohmy:
I really need to read up a bit on strawb growing  :blush:

Kagganz

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 06:30 »
 :ohmy:   I've been feeding mine too!

Mind you some have grown but not plumped up, the blackbirds didn't seem to mind them though  ::)

Mine are in a strawberry planter and hanging basket but I'm thinking of taking them out and planting them in growbags (I have no soil on the floor all gravel) and overwintering them in the greenhouse. 

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:01 »
Thanks for that. It seems a  lot of folks were asking the same question, so really useful info.

Cutting leaves back now will give me a chance to lift the plants and replant into new compost as the soil settled in the planter over the year and the plants are growing a little low in the big pot.

LilyAnne

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 17:37 »
I didn't know that either.

Mine are still fruiting but its useful to know.

How far down do you cut?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:44 »
What you really want to do is remove the old leaves which are starting to turn colour. They'll be the largest leaves and standing above the new set emerging from a centre crown.

Feeding the plants during fruiting time makes the berries go watery and more prone to mold, which is why feeding them is not recommended at that time. Strawberries are one of the few plants which can sustain themselves for a whole season on the previous year's 'feeding' of old manure or manure tea or comfrey tea or compost or a combination of these - applied after fruiting and as the new leaves develop.

devondave

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 21:43 »
Well I am among those who did'nt know that pearl of information, thanks for that, I want to move my strwberries inot the poly tunnel for next year, when is the best time to move them?

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 01:23 »
When any runners are large enough to have a reasonably decent sized root system. You can then cut them from the parent plant and dig the young one up with some soil intact around its roots for the best success. Parent plants can be moved now as well, again, best with soil around roots and set in at the same height they're at now (soil immedately just below the crown joint, no higher, no lower. They're very fussy this way.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 21:02 »
thanks for all the advice trillium.  I was planning to reorganise my strawberries anyway ,so this has been really useful.
Been  to the plot and dug up and rearranged  mine and have giventhem loads of manure and chicken pellets.  Hope for a better crop next year. :D :D

xx
cutting leaves off tomatoes

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 19:59
by DD.
xx
cutting down potato leaves

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 16:07
by mumofstig
xx
Cutting leaves of Strawberries

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 18:12
by gavinjconway
xx
Cutting off leaves to enhance fruit

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 14:17
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 28 queries.