help with new ex batts please!!

• 23 Replies

turnip

help with new ex batts please!!
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:13 »
Hi everyone,   
we got our 2 new ex batts on sunday after the sad loss of Poppy which left Jenny on her own.

One of the new girls, Rosie seems to be doing well and is eating grass and exploring but Ruby is showing no interest in life and seems to sleep nearly all day and night rarely opening her eyes.

I dont think she's eating very much but she yawns a lot, do you think she will perk up in time and is there anything I can do to help her?

Jenny seems to have accepted the idea of the newbies being here but they are still behind chicken wire so far so things may change when they are ready to go in together!

Any advice very welcome!!   many thanks and lots of love, Turnip.

Roughlee Handled

Re: help with new ex batts please!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:48 »
As she is an exbatt they combs are very pail. (my first question would have been what colour is her comb).  She does not sound very well.  I have had two lots of exbatts and they are normally mobile by now and out and about.  Can you contact the place you got her from or take her to the vet.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:54 »
Agree with Ruff, however, the whole process of release is incredibly traumatic for the birds the stress can take a while to recover from, and IMO taking to the vet right night might just add to her stress. Make sure she is comfy, access to food and water and hopefully she will come round in a few days. Pop a little poultry spice in her food, no treats yet. This is a risky time and if you are going to lose any this is the time you will, unfortunately they can seem to "give up" in the first few weeks, and when that happens I am afraid there is not much you can do. :(

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:08 »
Got my 8 on Saturday, and generally fine the next morning, but did notice one little one  was a bit hunched and droopy eyes.

Was a bit worried, but she perked up, and haven't been able to pick her out of the others since. 

I have noticed that they do have a slightly quieter period about noon, and some do have 40 winks in the shade under the coop, but by tea time, they are tearing round again.

Don't know what sort of time regime they were used to in the battery cages. Probably artifical light, so she might be adjusting to normal day light hours, probably feels a bit like jet lag.

Hope she picks up.

turnip

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:39 »
Dear Roughlee,Foxy and Flowerpot,

huge thanks for the comments,  both the new girls' combs were white when we collected them but are now a pale pink colour, am going to register them with vet today (would have done yesterday but sadly had family bereavement).

My vet is only a few hundred yards away and was fab with dear poppy when she was ill, I used to carry her there wrapped in a towel as it seemed less stressful for her than a car journey so was planning to do the same for the new girls to be checked over.

I will also phone the BHWT  lady to see if she has any further info .  I think Ruby is eating small amounts of the layers mash but is still sleeping nearly constantly. She has much more feathers though than Rosie who is very bald  but am thrilled to report that Rosie laid an egg this morning so i am taking that as another good sign as well as the grass eating.

I will see how things go and keep you posted, many thanks again  for all your advice xxx  Turnip

turnip

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 22:20 »
Hi, everyone,

went to vet for check over today, Ruby is a bit more awake but not by much,
she has some respiratory infection which I,ve got baytrill for but vet says she is so under weight that if no improvement in about 4 days then she probably wont perk up as no sign that she,s eating and I should have her put down, wah! .

am feeding water by syringe at intervals and the baytrill hoping she will be ok I wanted to be able to able a difference for her so have got everything crossed ! 

Just thankful that Rosie continues to improve and is eating for england!    have been really encouraged reading everyones fab ideas and experience on lots of issues, the advice is invaluable for us newer owners!   lots of love, turnip xxx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 22:38 »
Hi turnip!  Hope Ruby improves for you, but if the worse does come, please don't blame yourself.  these poor girls have had such a stressful life that freedom sometimes proves too much for them.

I've had ex batts on and off for 13 years.  But however short her life with you is, remember, she  had freedom for a little while.

But saying that, she may perk up a bit very soon and be with you for a couple of years.

Hope so!   :D :D

turnip

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 23:00 »
 Thanks for that GrannieAnnie,

i was thinking that if she doesnt make it at least shes had a few days of peace an quiet even if not really flourishing  but am still hoping for recovery so will keep you posted ,

many thanks again!  Turnip and Ruby xx

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 09:53 »
hi...how is she today. ive been reading your post , but dont know what to suggest so just wanted to send my wishes and hope she gets well soon . i think what your doing is the right thing...keep offering her water in an egg cup, and bits of her mash....we have been tearing up dandylion leaves into tiny pieces for willow and she seems to love them, along with grapes, mealworms and some bio yoghurt. hope she makes it xx

turnip

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:56 »
Hi thanks for all the best wishes,

this morning Ruby ate and drank a small bit by herself so i am thrilled that she is feeling a bit brighter and will try the dandelion leaf and bio yoghurt too.

I know its early days but every little bit of improvement seems brilliant!   

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 15:25 »
Great news Turnip, hope she continues to pick up.

turnip

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 23:52 »
latest update, 
Ruby is now more awake and eating and drinking ok, am so thrilled!!

Rosie is coming on in leaps and bounds and seems to be getting on well when out free ranging with our original hen Jenny.  Jenny pecks her occasionally but Rosie just skips away from her and then Jenny ignores her again.  have put Rosie in the eglu after dark tonight and Jenny seemed ok with it. I am very worried about the morning in case Jenny starts on her when they wake up as Rosie wont be able to get away so am planning to be at the run at first light to let them out. 

hoping they all continue to progress well!  the girls loved the bio yoghurt by the way many thanks for all the help and advice.

I,m still trying to sort out getting some photos up.   lots of love  turnip xxx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 06:50 »
So pleased that she seems to be improving  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 16:55 »
Hi turnip,
just wondered how your sleepy ex bat is doing now?  I have one just the same and feel we may have done much to add to her stress by taking her to the vets, then isolating her from the others after a nasty pecking incident...she is now on her own and eating  but very similar to yours - spends most of the day asleep or hunched facing away from the others....  any tips yet?

Timbo47

• Tim Brooks
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 19:24 »
Hi, I've had my Ex-Batts two months now and all are fighting fit, though still need a few feathers to return....otherwise fine. I add some Poultry Drink to their water each morning, which appears to do them good, especially when you first get them.
I'm sure it has helped them a great deal in their "Recovery" from the cruelty they once endured as Battery Hens.  So some of that added to the water and a few handfuls of fresh grass will perk them up hopefully. I guess a few are not too strong on arrival though. Hope yours recovers very soon.   Tim

xx
Ex Batts First Day

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 23:41
by Poolfield2
xx
My 4 ex batts

Started by conventgirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 15:27
by nettynoodles1
xx
getting ex batts

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 11:06
by mtoyne
xx
New ex Batts are here

Started by Chappers on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 12:21
by Chappers

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 37 queries.