Hen keeping pandemic

• 8 Replies

Hopton Mitch

Hen keeping pandemic
« on: July 28, 2009, 20:26 »
Well like what seems like half the country, I'm about to take delivery of my chooks on Saturday. I've got to say this has got to be one of the most (if not the most) informative forum's I've come across and thanks for all the hints and tips.

I've got my coop with it's own little run in situ but the run extension has hardly got off the ground as the girls are arriving a couple of weeks earlier than expected. I've got a couple of questions that I'd like to ask

1) Should I give the coop a bit of a pre treatment with Diatom and red mite powder?

2) Will I spook the chooks if I continue construction of the run around they're existing coop (there's likley to be a lot of sawing, hammering and drilling)

Ta

Mitch
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 20:30 by Ice »

nzdunn

Re: Hen keeping pandemic
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 20:41 »
welcome to the forum mitch, its a fantastic forum and has been a life line to me, wot sort of chooks are you getting.   I would say a definate yes to treating with some red mite powder of some kind, the barrier stuff is good you get the red mite and the louse powder as well.   I would also say Poultry shield is also a handy spray to have.       Looking forward to seeing piccys of your girls when they arrive.  nickyx

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 20:45 »
I think your chooks would be very unsettled by the noise and activity, they can get stressed very easily. You'll just have to work extra hard over the next few days! :D

purplebat

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 21:31 »
Hi Mitch, although chooks can be spooked by the disturbance it isn't a lost cause if the extension isn't ready in time, I extended my girl's run a couple of years ago, and had no choice but to do it around them as they were already residents, when the old fencing was taken down it was a nightmare because they had been watching us digging the holes and couldn't wait to get the worms, we were tripping over chickens nettings and each other!  :D
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 21:36 »
my chicks are 5 weeks old, when do i have to start using louse powder and treating for red mite

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 17:29 »
most of the work on our run was done while the chickens were very new: the run was secure, however, before they arrived.
It would be a good idea, if you're going to work on it once they've arrived, to have an area that they can be securely locked into when you're not working on it (like the existing run, if it's big enough)

We found that our girls became very used to us very quickly because we were constantly around them whilst contructing and they don't blink an eye at th sound of drills, hammering or sawing.

good luck!  :)

bexy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 18:42 »
Hi.I have 5 ex battery hens which i have had for 2 months now (just over).
They had a small run set up ready but about a week after they arrived i started work on a bigger run.
They did squabble a bit while i was doing the heavy hammering but mostly they was very curious to what i was doing  :wub:

Now if i want to do any such work i have to lock them away because they are soooo nosey and very very cheeky getting in the way....nearly killed one the other day while digging up my spuds,as soon as the fork hits the ground they pounce on the moving soil :wacko:

Hopton Mitch

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 19:31 »
Thanks for the info folks, I'm getting 4 ex batts Nicky, I understand the 'law' and will fire some snaps up when they are settled in.

Mitch

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:23 »
Hi Mitch, also getting ex batts on Saturday.  You've probably read all it!

We've worked really hard to get all the sawing and hammering done before the girls arrive, but we always seem to have a project on the go somewhere in the garden, so it's something ours will have to get used to. 

Though when they are here, things might change.  Strongly suspect I'm turning into a broody, and will take some shifting away from the hen house!

Hope it all goes to plan.

xx
new to hen keeping

Started by chelle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 18:11
by chelle
xx
Keeping two

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 21:55
by turnip
xx
bee keeping

Started by violet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 08:03
by violet
xx
keeping the fox at bay

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 08:53
by craig1981

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 36 queries.