HELP Please!! incubator

• 10 Replies

Chookster

• Experienced Member
HELP Please!! incubator
« on: July 24, 2009, 20:57 »
 :( my incubator has just packed up (the thermostat has packed up and it just goes on and off on and off so i had to turn it off before it blew a fuse).

I have 50 quail eggs under 2 incubators and they're due to hatch wednesday. Can ANYONE offer a temporary solution to get us through or will they be ok left at room temp??

last time i had a power cut and came home to cold eggs and i had still borns and deformities and i'm sure it had something to do with the heat and humidity loss.

too many girls

Re: HELP Please!! incubator
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 21:08 »
when we had a powercut overnight i woke to cold duck eggs, we put them in front of a gas fire with a digital themometor, ours had pipped and some had hatched already and the power was back on in a couple of hours, i don't know whether we could have kept them going for days, don't you know anyone who can lend you an incy?

Caralou

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 21:15 »
I'm too far away sadly to give you my 2 broody hens not on eggs - has anyone got a broody that could go on some of the eggs to save them if no incubators? Fingers crossed for you as this is horrible for you  :(

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 21:26 »
Hi! you mention you have 2 incys! could you put all the eggs into the one that works? a lady who is coming next week says she always loads her incy up then puts a load of quail eggs on top and she gets good hatches!
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wildwitchy

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 21:29 »
make your own. i made mine in the day with bits and bobs from wilko's,b & q & pc world. I'll tell you how to do it if you're intrested. it might tide you over. I've hatched chicks in mine very well.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 21:34 »
You could use a brooder box with a lamp over it! i can get mine to 37.5 degrees by moving lamp down and this time of year the humidity in the air will be about 40% could work short term?

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 23:10 »
 :unsure:ooh :(ok guys, thank you

for tonight i put them all in the one incy like you suggested. tomorrow i can clear out the brooder maybe.

they're the cheap polystyrene box ones off ebay - all i really need is to get the thermostat replaced and wire it in - any ideas where from? thanx again.xXx

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 23:20 »
:unsure:ooh :(ok guys, thank you

for tonight i put them all in the one incy like you suggested. tomorrow i can clear out the brooder maybe.

they're the cheap polystyrene box ones off ebay - all i really need is to get the thermostat replaced and wire it in - any ideas where from? thanx again.xXx
You could try the company that supplied the incys they will probably sell spares!?? but now its the weekend might not get till next week! whatever happened to Tandy? they were fab for all little electrical bits and bobs!

wildwitchy

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 23:26 »
in my incky i dont use a thermostat. I just wired in through the side, a light bulb fitting from B & q (£2 odd) & put a 25 watt bulb in. i bought a greenhouse thermometer for 99p from wilko's. Put a jam jar of water in to keep the humidity up. My incky sits between 37 - 38.5.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 23:52 »
I think Maplin sell thermostats.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 13:45 »
well, I emailed the guy on ebay.  i think what i did to make this happen was to add a drinking glass of water in there rather than the 10ml plastic thing he supplied.  it was fine for hatching out quails sort of but my humidity was really low and i think that's why i might have had still borns and those eggs that just shouldn't have hatched.

so that's what i did.  the thermostat is a V shape with the reader at the bottom of the V and on the arms of the V are little tubes, then it goes up to the lid and the circuit on top is held by cable ties.  he said i have to cut these and see if it needs cleaning underneath as the condensation could have got in there.

they're due to hatch on wednesday and at the moment are all in a pile still in the one incy. i hope they're not reliant on air space around them too much.  no noise really from inside at the mo - i think i can just hear my bones creaking LOL! Anyway, it's definate when you do hear something isn't it.

I shall have a go at doing what he said but i 'm not sure i can really trust it to run for these eggs at this late stage or any until i've run it independantly for a good few hours or so.

Fingers crossed.  Perhaps i should do a poll to gues how many should hatch out of 50!  :blink:

thanks for all the support guys.x

xx
New Incubator

Started by Tensing on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 15, 2007, 00:19
by Tensing
xx
Best |Incubator to get

Started by Briony on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 21:41
by Briony
xx
Just got an incubator

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2015, 14:07
by tosca100
sad
Incubator help

Started by cazzoo on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 00:14
by MontyTom

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 31 queries.