what greens to feed

• 18 Replies

adi

Re: what greens to feed
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 08:26 »
so i tried all the variations of greens you all say you feed and turns out my three warrens ( little red hen, chikcin lickin and daniel? my 3 years old daughter named them) are as fussy as my wife when it comes to food. Tried lettuce and pea pods, then sweet corn and even apple. turns out their favourite is dandelion leaves! maybe i should try the wife on those :). at least there is no shortage of them this time of year. still waiting on my first egg, i'm very excited.

Foxy

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 09:21 »
well dandelion particluary young fresh leaves are a good source of calcium for chooks ;)

Tesara

• Cat Musings
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 16:58 »
Hi, I'm new here! Just wanted to say, as no-one else seems to have mentioned it, that you definitely shouldn't feed potato leaves to your chickens, they are poisonous (also tomato leaves, which I mention since I weeded a whole lot out of a vegetable bed this morning - that's home made compost, for you).

My Bluebell Girls love dandelion, I never weed out a good clump, but pick the leaves so that they are like cut-and-come-again lettuce. They get loads of raw cabbage - spring greens and outer leaves from big cabbages - but they don't like brussels sprouts much. I grow rainbow chard for them in winter.
Heigh ho, the wind and the rain.

8doubles

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 17:27 »
I think that b/sprout peelings are too small and tough to break up, they cannot stand on them and tear a piece off. Mine are ok with cooked sprout peelings.It maybe just be a matter of the chooks personal taste as mine are not all that keen on lettuce.

xx
What fresh Greens can I feed my Hens ?

Started by cock o the north on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 10:52
by Jo-n-Neil
xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
They won't eat their greens

Started by cammi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 23:00
by Pertelotte

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 30 queries.