what greens to feed

• 18 Replies

adi

what greens to feed
« on: July 22, 2009, 16:26 »
I'm new to the chicken thing and have been reading up on the subject constantly,( much to the annoyance of my wife). i understand greens are important but i'm not sure what to give. i know onions and peppers are off the menu and i understand cabbage is a good one. but what about leaves? i grow some veg myself and live near an allotment and once harvested most veg has the leave removed and i assume these would be fine for the hens? the leaves i'm not sure about are the ones from my potatoes, would they be poisonous?  what other greens would you recomend also?
thanks adi.

Brambles

Re: what greens to feed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 16:40 »
My experience is that chickens eat the things that are good for them... if they free range they come across potato leaves etc... but they wont eat them if they are bad...  The main food is Layers Pellets with some corn for a treat in the late afternoon.   Green stuff is good but not too much as they have a proper ballanced diet in the pellets (so I am told)

I grew curly kale last winter and the chooks LOVED them so am growing more this winter just for them..  Mine love dandelions, slugs, most soil pests :D, they adore apples but I am careful about giving them too many....  Layers pellets are  definitely the main food for my girls.

bexy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 18:02 »
They love brassica leaves,spinach,beetroot leaves and pea shoots.
I also give them tinned sweetcorn which they go absolutely crazy over and cooked potatoes....ooooh and spagetti :tongue2:

Cass

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 18:50 »
Our chooks love broccoli, green beans, carrots, peas, sprouts - anything leftover from sunday roast veggies really!  (composter somewhat depleated since we got the chooks!) they also go mad over bread - but not massive chunks of it!!

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 19:22 »
When  you`r weeding don`t forget they love chickweed. :)

adi

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 21:37 »
thanks for the replies guys, mine do go mad for dandelions and the leaves off the broccoli,but dont like pea pods. seems they can be as fussy as kids when it comes to veggies?

Tricky

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 21:38 »
mine wont touch greens, the only greenish thing they'll eat is yellow, sweetcorn!

adi

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 21:51 »
i may try some tinned sweetcorn, they will eat better than me soon.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 22:13 »
mine love sweetcorn (make sure you rinse it first as some has salt and sugar added). At the moment my hens are being wormed so I stir their flubenvet into it and being damp it sticks lovely, the older hens eat more corn than the youngsters so they all should get about the right amount of wormer  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 23:03 »
also grass clipping as long as no weed and feed has been applied.
I hand feed my 12weeks old bits of cabbage in very small bits to get them use to it then when they get the hang of it they are off and running.
mine love lettuce but it does give them the runs if they have too much black poo everywhere.

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 23:13 »
Thanks for that wormer and sweetcorn tip!
I only give my birds greens in their run and they DEMOLISH radish leaves (easy to grow) and go mad for carrot, swede and turnip tops, comfrey, bolted lettuce, thinnings from pak choi, broccoli, cabbage etc.as well. Can't get enough and doesn't seem to affect poo.
 I was worried about the winter months but thanks to advice on this forum have got kale, beet and cabbages sown that can go in when the peas and beans finish!! As you say...they eat as well as us! :D
 Doesn't seem to fill them up too much and their eggs are a blinding deep yellow! Loadsa iron!

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 18:38 »
hi my chicks are 5 weeks old can i give them greens now

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 19:32 »
yes, my chicks have been free ranging with mum since they were 2 weeks old so have been eating grass and plants all the time  :D

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 19:52 »
Mine free range all day so eat what they like (except my veggies  ::)) but they still go bonkers for a bit of lettuce or gone-to-seed chard. And if for some reason they are shut in the coop, all they want is grass.
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

karlooben

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 21:07 »
mine eat anything but they dont like runner beans , i dont feed them to them someone esle put some though wire an they didnt touch them . one thing i need to ask there is a hlaf eaten raw cabbage in the kitchen do i need to boil that first befire i give it to them. normally i just hang them up fresh from the gound in the run an let the girls attack them and they certainly love doing that .

i grew marrows this year for the first time for the girls but they only thing is all 9 plants erputed , there must be 6 -8 marrows per plant my girls cant eat them quick enough  :lol: :lol: i am having to give quite a few away .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
What fresh Greens can I feed my Hens ?

Started by cock o the north on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 10:52
by Jo-n-Neil
xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
They won't eat their greens

Started by cammi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 23:00
by Pertelotte

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 37 queries.