Hi from Hampshire - And 'Help!' ....please....

• 7 Replies

poppy23

Hi from Hampshire - And 'Help!' ....please....
« on: July 21, 2009, 23:02 »
Hi, Would just like to say hellooooo - Myself and husband (and the kids!) have started our Grow-Our-Own fruit and veg plot in the garden. Last year we started off with a couple of strawberry plants and some radishes...had a few carrots but the slugs ate those. Didn't really do well at all with anything else. Well, this year we have strawberries (millions of them), spring onions, snack peas, rhubarb, tomatoes (3 varieties), onions (giant), 2 apple trees, 1 pear tree, beetroot, courgettes, cucumbers, a gooseberry tree (which was riddled with caterpillars), peppers, chillies....oh, and pumpkins!
Have read some of the posts on various problems that some of you have, and to be honest, we are a little confused......
Onions - Ours laid over a few weeks ago, and look bulbous (just popping out of the soil) but some say to lift them, some say to leave them.... what do we do??
Pear tree - absolutely nothing on there but lots of new leaves (there are a couple of white cotton-wool type patches over a couple of the old stems) Any ideas?
Tomatoes - Millions of them (moneymakers, gardeners delight and marmade), but none turning red - when do we expect them to turn? We (well, he) thins them out, feeds once a week and trims off leaves regularly...
All trial and error this year ready for the 'big move' with a couple of acres of land to be completely self-sufficient....
Advice or tips will be much appreciated!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hi from Hampshire - And 'Help!' ....please....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 23:07 »
Welcome poppy23  :D

I'll pop you over to the Grow Your Own for your questions to be answered, sounds as though you've had a good year so far though  :)

1. Onions.  If the foliage has died off I think it's time to lift them and let them dry off out of the rain.  If the foliage is still green then leave them a bit longer I think.

2. Pear tree.  Don't know, hopefully someone else will!

3. Tomatoes.  None of mine have turned red.  It's not been very warm recently and there's not been that much sun, and I believe these have an impact.  Just be patient  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:03 »
Hi welcome to the site. My shallots fell first and are now drying. Onions I haven't lifted yet and the foliage has fell but still green so on my 'to do' list  :)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:47 »
On the pear tree is it moth larva or more likely mealy bug .

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:19 »
Hiya!
Onions - I would also lift them now
Toms - mine are still green too
Pear - I have 2 pear trees, same variety. 1 is heavy with fruit and 1 has none  ??? both have new leaf growth as well.

2 acres of land! I'm green with envy  :tongue2:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

paintedlady

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 13:53 »
Pears - depending on variety, but some flower rather earlier than other fruit trees (it did flower, didn't it?   ;) )  Also, how old is it?  It took my trees a good 4-5 years after planting before they started producing regularly.  Some years you might just catch the weather right and bumble bees are out early, other times it can be a "no pears this year".  The "cotton wool" thing concerns me - I think I'd be out there sawing off any dodgy looking wood or growths and maybe treating it with something though I don't know what, but certainly something that will disinfect and seal the wound.

I have 2 pear trees, same variety. 1 is heavy with fruit and 1 has none  ??? both have new leaf growth as well

Biennial fruiting is not uncommon - a heavy crop one year, lean the next.  My 2 Bramleys have gone like that - it's not so bad if they each did it alternatively so at least there is a crop of something every year.  You could try thinning off excess fruit from the heavy fruiter but this didn't seem to make any difference.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Johndeb

• Ashridge Nurseries
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 14:55 »
On your pear.  Two things. 

1. A lot of pears need a compatible pollinator - Ashridge Trees has a good section on fruit tree pollination, but here is the link straight to their pear pollination page http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Pollination-Pear-Trees

2.  The wooly stuff is quite likely to be woolly aphid.  Hard to eradicate but you can either use spraying oil (support your good, local, independent garden centre) or you can just wash the stuff off with soapy water and repeat the process every week or so fo r a month...

Good luck
Good luck
John

poppy23

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 18:03 »
Hi !
I would just like to say thank you for the replies.... We will be back out there at the weekend (almost there!) and get them sorted... We had a few other bits and pieces that we were unsure of, but this site is great and we found most of our answers by browsing through the threads. Will be back regularly to see what we have missed!
Keep those recipes coming too on the recipe section - there are some crackers on there that we just have to try! Hubby pickled our first lot of cylindra beetroot - just a few more days and we will give them a try....

Thanks again everyone!

xx
Plots available - Tadley, Hampshire

Started by mjpalin on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 15:54
by mjpalin
xx
Possible spud blight in Hampshire??!!

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 21:14
by Hampshire Hog
xx
New plot in Basingstoke Hampshire - advice on soil please!

Started by drypulse on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 07:20
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 29 queries.