Flowers on the plot

• 22 Replies

Beetroot queen

Flowers on the plot
« on: July 20, 2009, 22:13 »
I am one of those people, if you cant eat it, I dont want to grow it, but daughter who is 8 wants flowers. Can I have a half way house flowers that we can eat.

I dont mind lavender as I have a recipe for lavender jelly I want to try but what else would suit both our needs  ???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Flowers on the plot
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 22:19 »
Nasturtiums? (Subject to the added protein of blackfly  :blink: )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 22:33 »
Im not a big fan of flowery things - mainly beacuse I keep killing them  ::) T.O.B.N.D. has a few self seeded poppys amongst his veg and they do make things look a little softer. I suppose you could use the seeds ?

... just a thought.

AlotArds

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 22:44 »
I planted some Marigolds to protect the carrots etc, they put  a bit of colour on the lotty and the slugs tend to go for them aswell.

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 23:18 »
Try this list of edible flowers.
Martin

Brambles

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 23:28 »
Apart from the fact that flowers look quite pretty on a plot...  (I have marigolds and sweet peas with the odd self sown poppy)   They really do attract the bees, and I am all in favour of that :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:09 »
ummm might have to look into this further thanks for the suggestions so far  :D

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:50 »
Chives, the last leeks left to flower, nasturtiums, sunflowers, tagetes, poached egg plant, cardoons, echinacea, daisy thing from seeds I took off a random plant, garlic flowers; all these are on my plot and bring the bees onto it in droves.

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 09:04 »
The only edible ones I can think of are marigolds & nasturtiums but I'm a massive fan of flowers in odd corners on the plot as I like to attract pollinators as well has having a splash of colour so here's my faves - Phacelia, it's a lovely looking plant & an absolute bee magnet.  Californian poppies would be great for an 8 year old, they're easy to grow & really pretty, I don't think they're edible but they're so gorgeous they look like they ought to be if you know what I mean :blink:  There are lots of nice annuals which look & smell nice & attract pollinators & are easy to grow so ideal for kids, they can all be tucked in a corner somewhere, I have mine along the edge of the paths - candytuft, virginia stocks, cosmos, poached egg plant, marigolds, opium poppies, sweet rocket, mignonette & how can you have a plot & an 8 year old and NOT have sunflowers - it's just cruel  :D :D :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:19 »
The only edible ones I can think of are marigolds & nasturtiums but I'm a massive fan of flowers in odd corners on the plot as I like to attract pollinators as well has having a splash of colour so here's my faves - Phacelia, it's a lovely looking plant & an absolute bee magnet.  Californian poppies would be great for an 8 year old, they're easy to grow & really pretty, I don't think they're edible but they're so gorgeous they look like they ought to be if you know what I mean :blink:  There are lots of nice annuals which look & smell nice & attract pollinators & are easy to grow so ideal for kids, they can all be tucked in a corner somewhere, I have mine along the edge of the paths - candytuft, virginia stocks, cosmos, poached egg plant, marigolds, opium poppies, sweet rocket, mignonette & how can you have a plot & an 8 year old and NOT have sunflowers - it's just cruel  :D :D :D

ooops we do have sunflowers, see proof now call off the social services  :lol:

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 09:25 »
I've got some Dahlias (thanks Yabba). Though not edible (I think), they do look good.  :)

I'll definitely make space for a few more 'decorative' plants, simply for the feel-good factor.

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 10:35 »
OK BQ I think we can safely get the sprogs off the CPR  :D :D

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 13:28 »
Lots of herbs flower beautifully, and a mini herb garden can look very pretty. Sage, rosemary, Thyme. Coriander, (for seeds) chives.

Or, if you think of it as a cutting patch. Flowers specifically to include in your allotment harvest to decorate your home.   I have 4sqft of lupins and for a month i had huge colourful displays around my home.  I also have a sweet pea tunnel between two of my veg beds.  Little bunches of sweet pea in the bathroom and by my bed. Enjoy their scent in the bath, or first thing in the morning.  Lovely.

. 001 (450 x 600).jpg
Liv.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 14:51 »
I like the idea of herbs and have some that need to be moved from the garden, would they grow in a square foot garden as i have a bed ready and love the idea of it  :D

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 22:15 »
I don't see why not.

xx
Flowers on the plot

Started by Weedy Wonder on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 16:07
by Elcie
xx
Growing flowers on the plot

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 11:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Anyone growing flowers on their veg plot

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 20:07
by Peterjohn
xx
potatoes..flowers or no flowers

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 21:07
by hanssg

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 27 queries.