chickens ?

• 6 Replies

gman1958

chickens ?
« on: July 11, 2009, 17:27 »
Hi all am thinking about haveing a few chickens (bantums) in the garden, and was wondering whens the best time of year to get them, and were from, im in west yorkshire.

thanks gman.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: chickens ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 17:32 »
Now is not a bad time as there will be lots of POL about from the spring hatchings I would have thought.

There is lots of information on the Poulty Info links and if you go to the Poultry Pages (at the top) there is a list of breeders and stockists.

Welcome to the forum, there's loads of information here. Just remember , forewarned is forearmed. It is much better to plan ahead that to adapt to problems later.

You will love chickens.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 19:01 »
I timed mine for when I had a week off work so that I could be home to get used to them and for them to get used to me!

That was 7 weeks ago and they are very settled.  I would guess summer is probably a better time just because you will see them more as they will go to bed at dusk, which obvioulsy is much earlier in the winter.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 19:05 »
Hi gman. Welcome  :)

Have you got your housing and run sorted or would you like advice from some of the seasoned keepers ?

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 21:10 »
Now is not a bad time as there will be lots of POL about from the spring hatchings I would have thought.

There is lots of information on the Poulty Info links and if you go to the Poultry Pages (at the top) there is a list of breeders and stockists.

Welcome to the forum, there's loads of information here. Just remember , forewarned is forearmed. It is much better to plan ahead that to adapt to problems later.

You will love chickens.

i like the last bit i think i should of learned that before i got my guys  :lol: :lol: its been almost a year for me now .

welcome gman if your totally new to keeping chickens then stick to this forum you;ll get no end of help  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

gman1958

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:38 »
no rob not got house or run sorted yet, thats why was asking about best time to get them, got a bit of garden to sort out first, so going to get it all done, for next year now, but thanks to all for help, hopefully some freash eggs next year lol.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:44 »
There is a great thread in the info section on building your own coop which I would recommend as much cheaper and you'll probably end up with a much better coop. There are loads of cowboys out there jumping on the bandwangon now keeping poultry is popular and churning out or importing cheap tat that is not fit for purpose and far to small for the number of hens they quote. I adapted my duck house from a garden storage chest and it was a doddle (although ducks are much less fussy about housing than hen).
The thread about protecting our girls from foxes is also really good as many of us (including me) have underestimated the threat they pose.

Happy browsing and ask any questions you have.

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
'Get Off' gel and chickens

Started by cammi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 10:30
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 28 queries.