different ages, different pellets?

• 14 Replies

themagicaltoad1

different ages, different pellets?
« on: July 11, 2009, 14:57 »
When I bought my bantam chicks about 5 wks ago I was told they were about 12 wks old. It's now evident that there is quite a difference in age between them. I have 3, one has been fully feathered and rosey almost from the first day I brought them home, one is still very fluffy but again has been rosey for a few weeks and the last little one is obviously much younger, she's just stopped cheeping and is losing fluff feathers at an alarming rate. The problem is they're all on growers pellets, if one starts laying do I switch them all the layers pellets at the same time or is this going to be a problem because of the age difference?

Kate and her Ducks

Re: different ages, different pellets?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 17:09 »
I'm afraid I don't know much about chicks and hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along soon but that all sounds quite odd. From other people posts on here I thought most chicks were fully feathered by 5 weeks never mind 12. Meaning that even if you had got them as day olds they would be feathered by now never mind 5 weeks on from being told they were 12 weeks old. What breed are they? Could they be a breed that is always going to be fluffy (like a silkie or something)?

I could be talking nonsense of course but it just sounds a bit odd to me.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

nimue4

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 19:56 »
Can't see they're that old. My three are about 16 weeks and I've been getting two eggs a day for nearly a fortnight. Did have one without a shell in the first few days. Weird. If they were at 17 weeks they should have been on layers pellets for a while already.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 20:17 »
Oh, now I'm even more confused  :wacko:  I've posted pics of them from when I first got them. I think one's a silkie, one's a silkie hybrid and I haven't got a clue what the other one is, (apart from very bossy!), any guesses as to age of them from the pics?
Gem & Henrietta reduced.JPG
Penny 25pc.JPG

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 20:28 »
14 weeks is very early to be getting eggs (lucky you) so I wouldn't worry that you are not getting any even if they are 17 weeks old. Most would say that 20 - 24 weeks old is the normal time to start laying. I can't give you any clues to age (more of a ducky person), are they still growing? Do you trust the person who told you they were about 12 weeks old? Would seem like an odd thing to fib about if they're not. Would have thought it would be fine to get them onto layers pellets if you are reaching the end of the bag of growers but there is no rush.

Caralou

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 20:34 »
As all three are different mixes the sizes will differ, so don't worry. I think you were given right ages if the pics are from them at 12 weeks when you got them. I'd move them onto layers if you're out of growers now and all three will be fine with them  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 20:34 »
Agree with Kate - start to change them over onto layers. They all look like silkie crosses to me but I could be wrong - I often am  :D. Having said that could the one on its own have a bit of polish in it?
Staffies are softer than you think.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 20:37 »
I have never know chickens lay at 14 weeks, 18 weeks is the youngest I know to and that is white leghorns, as regards feathering up I had a laced bantam wyandotte that was really slow at feathering, and now is a beutiful cockerel, sometimes they just take longer, I put all my chicks on growers pellets at around 5 weeks old, and layers at about 17 weeks.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 20:40 »
Do all silkies not have the silly haircut then??? Don't know about the polish I tried saying dzien dobrie to it but it just looked at me a bit funny :lol: What I'm worried about is if I switch them all to layers pellets could it affect the youngest one if she's not ready for them?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 20:48 »
I know it is recommended that youngsters don't have layers but then again it is also recommended that males don't either but it is often not practical. I have a mixed flock so all of mine are on layers (well duck breeders which is similar) from the 6 week ducklings to the drakes and my layers and have not had a problem. If you are worried I would just leave them on the growers but make sure that you have oyster shell available for the ones coming up to lay.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 20:52 »
Ok that's helped , thanks. I'll switch them when my current batch of growers runs out which will be in a few days. :)

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 21:47 »
Ah so thats how gin dobrey is spelt  :lol: :lol: Knew how to say it but not right it  :D. Start mixing layers with your growers straight away and they will be fine. As your hens are crosses then no not all have the funny haircut - I also have some banty crosses, 1 has a quiff, 1 has feathered legs and the other two look nothing like silkies.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 13:10 »
no wonder she didn't understand polish as having had another look at her she looks more like a gold silkie  :lol: :lol:

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 14:17 »
They all look completely different, it doesn't matter to me what they are or what language they speak, (I'm becoming fluent in "Bok Bok"), they each have very different characters, and I'm looking forward to my first egg, no hurry girls, whenever you're ready!

nimue4

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 21:57 »
Must admit these are youngest layers I've ever had. must be something to do with global warming. lol. Doesn't matter how many years you've kept chickens they always surprise you, luckily usually in a good way. just love the dark destroyers.

xx
Worming ages...

Started by Daisycow on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 15:58
by Daisycow
xx
Chicken ages

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 09:32
by Bonniebean
xx
What ages to move on please?

Started by GerryOB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 09:18
by GerryOB
question
Is it important to know their ages?

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 06:54
by joyfull

Page created in 0.645 seconds with 30 queries.