Worming ages...

• 22 Replies

Daisycow

Worming ages...
« on: August 30, 2008, 16:23 »
My eight chooks have been on hols at my mums for two weeks and are due to be wormed, esp as they have been living a life of luxury and need to go on a diet too, due to the run being over a bit of garden they were digging! The chooks helped of course  :roll:  ! The thing is, we acquired a young-ish chick (age not known, but approx 10 weeks old now at a guess) and have 2 20 week old pullets. Can these be wormed? With flubenvet.
I see on some other posts 6 months is suggested, but the pullets are running with the older girls, am guessing they should be ok anyway?
But the little 10 week old is in with the top hen, but separate from the rest of the flock. The top hen is due to be wormed, is it ok to do little'un too?  :) It is easier for us to mix it in with their food, but if necessary, we'll have to try and give it individually.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming ages...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 18:30 »
GrannieAnnie can answer this one

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Worming ages...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 21:59 »
Well, I don't know about that!!!!!   :lol:

I've spent the past week thinking, I wonder if its okay to worm the 9 week olds!!!!!!  I know on here, some people have said not to worm them until they are POL, and I don't usually worm them until then either, but I've got a few reddy coloured poops, that if I spray water onto, go out into a long line, is this worms?  They are not moving, but could they be dead ones?  

None of our girls have ever had womrs before!

On the Flubenvet pack,it says you can worm game birds from 3 weeks, so why not chicks too??

So contrary to popular opinion, Granieannie doesn't know everything!!!!!   :lol:

Vember

Worming ages...
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 22:08 »
I've just done the buff orps who were born begining of June after spotting a very long round worm in a poop. I was real upset as keep grass etc real clean. Anyway I decided to do everyone with a mix in a syringe to make sure they all got some.

I didn't give the buffs as much as the big hens but Thursday was the end of the 7 days and no ill effects (phew)

Sarah :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming ages...
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 22:09 »
Not quite sure what you mean by that Grannie but I don't think they are worms.  Most of the worms hens get can't really be seen by eye very easily and they don't normally come out with the poo.

GrannieAnnie

Worming ages...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 22:19 »
Right, well you know in your info on poop, red poo can also be caecal? is that right, or am I talking rubbish again?   :D  Well these little poo's when deposited look like a round red soft lump, but if I put the sprayer over them, they unravel and look long and skinny, do you think that's a caecal poo?  the stringy bits are about 3 inches or maybe more long.

So perhaps not worms then?

You see, what always worries me is that having so many chooks, the ground never gets a decent rest, so when I can, the runs are rotavated and limed, then left for as long as possible.  If we need the ground quickly, I spray with a weak Jeyes solution like Munty told me to do.  The last time I sprayed the run twice in a few days to try to make sure I killed any nasties!

Kate and her Ducks

Worming ages...
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 22:22 »
Blood clots can behave like this, could that be possible?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming ages...
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 22:25 »
Not caecal poos Grannie but they could be bits of gut lining that have been shed, not abnormal, or they could be poorly digested earth worms.  Do they have any access to digging up worms ?

Blood in the faeces might indicate coccidia but it's not blood by what you say.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming ages...
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 22:27 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
Blood clots can behave like this, could that be possible?

That's a thought Kate  :idea:  

That would indicate coccidia possibly.  But they've been on chick crumbs with coccidiastate in them haven't they Grannie ?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Worming ages...
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 22:29 »
One of my girlies does the occasional poop with long red things in so i used flubernvet on all of them the little girls are only 15 weeks!! im worried now that i have done it too early and another post said the pink bits could just be bits of gut lining that hens shed every so often? I have been mixing about 1 tsp of flubernvet with about 500g of pellets in a bag is that about right because the pack only has large amount dosings so its difficult to judge? :?
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

Worming ages...
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 22:39 »
Think it is more like a teaspoon in 4 kg but Aunty will put us right on this.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming ages...
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 22:49 »
You're right Kate but that dose rate assumes that the pellets are the only source of feed  for the birds.  Birds which free range a lots would therefore not eat as many pellets and not ingest a sufficient dose of flubenvet.  

I take about a gram per bird and divide it over 7 days and feed to them on treats.  The dose rate is not very critical bit I think a tsp full in 500g pellets is rather too much unless they only have them for a quick snack for breakfast :!:

GrannieAnnie

Worming ages...
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 22:53 »
Yes Aunty, Farmgate feed has an anticoccidia in it, so shouldn't be cocci, and they are all well and healthy.  And you are right, its not bright red blood, but that dull slightly orangey looking stuff!  :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Worming ages...
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 22:53 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
You're right Kate but that dose rate assumes that the pellets are the only source of feed  for the birds.  Birds which freerange a lots would therefore not et as many pellets and not ingest a sufficient dose of flubenvet.  

I take about a gram per bird and divideit over 7 days and feed to them on treats.  The dose rate is not very critical bit I think a tsp full in 500g pellets is rather to much unless they only have them for a quick snack for breakfast :!:
oh no!!!! they do free range and have mixed corn and greens during the day thay only really eat the pellets in the morning will it of done them any harm as i have been giving them that dose for 5 days now????? :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming ages...
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 22:59 »
Quote from: "chickenlady"
oh no!!!! they do free range and have mixed corn and greens during the day thay only really eat the pellets in the morning will it of done them any harm as i have been giving them that dose for 5 days now????? :?

as I said if the don't have the pellets as thieir only source of feed then they would need to have the mix made a bit stronger.  They should consume about a  gram of flubenvet each over 7 days.  You can deliver that however you want.

I'd just continue for the last 2 days, they'll be fine but review what you do next time round.

xx
Chicken ages

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 09:32
by Bonniebean
xx
What ages to move on please?

Started by GerryOB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 09:18
by GerryOB
question
Is it important to know their ages?

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 06:54
by joyfull
xx
different ages, different pellets?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 21:57
by nimue4

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 37 queries.