Things I learned today! (2nd attempt -see below)

• 7 Replies

willowman

• Experienced Member
Things I learned today! (2nd attempt -see below)
« on: July 11, 2009, 14:42 »
1. Stripping just one blackcurrant bush is hard on the knees and back.

2. Put a sheet under the bush to catch the fallers.

3. Life is too short to spend it cutting tails off hundreds of blackcurrants (for jam) so it looks like I'm making blackcurrant jelly. 1st attempt, wish me luck.

4. Just when you think you've beaten it, the dreaded gooseberry sawfly makes a second wave attack, this time on the previously untouched redcurrant bush.

5. Be realistic when ordering. After the blackcurrants I finished pulling all the garlic. It was on offer from one of the merchants - what can I do with about a hundred garlic bulbs?

6. For their size caterpillars can eat a pnenominal amount of cabbage. Where do they put it all?

7. Don't press the tab key followed by the back page key just when you've finished typing your topic. (everything disappeared)
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Things I learned today! (2nd attempt -see below)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 14:48 »
 :D :D :D :D
Dont forget:_

Never pee into the wind
Never eat yellow snow
Never say anything in front of your kids that you do not want repeating :D :D :D

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 18:54 »

3. Life is too short to spend it cutting tails off hundreds of blackcurrants (for jam) so it looks like I'm making blackcurrant jelly. 1st attempt, wish me luck.

Couldn't agree more!! Blackcurrant jelly every time for me, far far easier, but more time consuming waiting for the juice to drip out, need  to allow at least 48 hours start to finish for the jelly IMHO
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

catllar

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 19:18 »
you can freeze garlic - bit pongy but comes in handy in winer when the rest has shrivelled up. The only bugbear is that you need to peel it. Then all you do is chuck it in a freezer bag and that's it. Obviously you can then only use it in cooking but it makes a wicked garlic soup - ensuring you plenty of   elbow room on public transport the following day

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 19:47 »
I did the last one before it messed up my computer
I gues ill never learn
Im just a nosey parker :lol:

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 21:35 »
you don't have to (always) read the instructions.

just made a jar of jam from left over (pretty much excavated to be honest) gooseberries, redcurrants and cherries found at back of fridge. bunged it all in a pan with some jam sugar and some caster, boiled it up, stuck it in jar. tastes gorgeous, and has set. apparently i should have precooked the fruit, measured the sugar, and let it all stand before pouring into jar so that it would set. hahahahah -- it did anyway! *smug emoticon*

elibump

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:41 »

5. Be realistic when ordering. After the blackcurrants I finished pulling all the garlic. It was on offer from one of the merchants - what can I do with about a hundred garlic bulbs?

I would love to have grown 100 garlic bulbs 8).  So jealous :tongue2:.  Try mincing and storing in jars like the lazy garlic supermarkets sell.  100 garlic bulbs might just see us through to next year's harvest, then again.........perhaps not quite.
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:51 »
Put a load of the cloves in the ground for next year [keep them safe until then].

String the rest and use a bulb at a time.

Any others, give the bulbs to friends and family, my nieces used my last offering as drumsticks, they loved them.

I grew 120 garlics, and that's not including the ones that I have been using as green garlic since about March. I think about 150 ish went in the ground. Any that went in the compost bin and grow on their own will be gathered up like last year's non-performers and left to flower - the bees love them [see photo - this is the garlic flowers taken 2 days ago].
garlic flowers.jpg

xx
Two things I've learned in the last six months...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 19:52
by teasmade!
xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
I have picked the first things from my allotment today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 20:40
by debih
xx
Lesson learned

Started by slopym on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.856 seconds with 28 queries.