cosy fleece or enviro mesh?

• 12 Replies

hermon

« on: April 18, 2007, 10:40 »
what is the difference? i need protection from the smallest fea beetle to cabbage whites. :?

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 15:56 »
Enviromesh is the heavier stuff that's used for temporary greenhouses (if white) and small cloches, and for road work to hold back soil. It's not what you want over the veggies as it doesn't let through much water and if it's black, it won't let any light through. The fleece is what you want to let water through and keep the pests out. It can be draped over top of the crop or propped above them with stakes or whatever.

philmay

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 17:02 »
Enviromesh is great for covering your veg, but it costs to much! go with the fleece.
Trillium don't think the stuff you call enviromesh is the same as we get, you can water through it and it lets in enough light. The allotment holder next to me grows all his carrots under it to protect them from carrot fly.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 17:12 »
I thought fleece was more to keep stuff warm when its frosty, is it okay to cover things like carrots all the time to keep the carrot fly off or brassics to keep whitefly off?

I covered my brassicas last year in a black mesh from Wilko's, which was all I could afford.  It kept 99.9% of the cabbage white's off, but I had terrible whitefly on everything

philmay

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 19:32 »
grannieannie, a lot of people on this site leave their carrots covered by fleece all the time, only moving it to weed.  I also recall reading Muntjack suggesting to someone to cover their peas with it and leave it on. There is another thread just below this one talking about fleece. But unfortunately I'm not clever enough to link to it. :oops:

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 20:10 »
Fleece is great for keeping the cold nights and north winds at bay , but it is not that strong and we have had problems with it blowing off the crops unless it is held down securely , which makes for a lot of unfastening when the veg needs a weeding or just checking on progress.

This year we are trying environmesh over the carrots and brassicas ,we are making tunnels using blue plastic water pipe and dowels as support,we will be able to compare the two at end of season. Looking for something that lets in water and light, this environmesh  we've got should do. Also strong enough to be used again for 5 years at least , fleece  does nt last that long .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 20:26 »
I'm doing something similar myself - tunnel made from blue water pipe covered with viromesh.  My 3-99 polytunnel from Lidl has now had the plastic replaced with fleece to hopefully make a carrot fly proof zone!

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 15:02 »
Where is the best place to buy enviromesh ... price wise??

Presume mail order is the cheapest way ?? even with postage ??  :?
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 15:24 »
What did we used to do before we invented these materials ?
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Annie

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 21:28 »
The main reason I think is price.You can buy lots of fleece cheaply and virimesh is relativly expensive especialy if you want wide stuff but will last for years.We have enought mesh for 2 6x12 beds and fleece to keep off frost/flea beetle but now we have the later find we don`t use it much.

Anton

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 21:06 »
I've just draped some fleece over my carrot seedlings as advised in one of these columns. I poured a bit of water over it to see what happens and notice it just kind of lingers on the top. When we actually get some rain (hasn't rained for weeks and weeks here) won't it tend to crush the plants underneath (I have some parnsip seedlings and lettuce covered as well)?

Anton

purplebat

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 21:13 »
there was a post elsewheer about this; the reply to it was that when it rains it doesn't hit the fleece as hard as water from a watering can, so it goes through, it's only because of the quantity of water in one go from a can that it sites on top, so no, when (IF) it rains your plants will be fine  :lol:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Anton

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 21:21 »
Thanks, Purplebat,

That's put my mind at rest.

Anton

xx
Carrots: fleece or enviro-mesh?

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 21:05
by Kristen
xx
cosy fleece vs viromesh

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 15, 2006, 20:53
by milkman
xx
enviro mesh

Started by pops on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 13:25
by gillie
xx
enviro mesh or clear polythene

Started by CARROTTCRUNCHER on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 00:54
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 31 queries.