Aubergine doctor required urgently

• 5 Replies

lilou

Aubergine doctor required urgently
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:41 »
My aubergines always end up with the fruit rotting as soon as it appears from the flower.  The plants are healthy and flower perfectly and then it all starts going wrong.  They are in a greenhouse.  Please help as this is the third year of trying and always the same problem occurs.  Where oh where am I going wrong?

madra rua

Re: Aubergine doctor required urgently
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 10:51 »
could it be that their feet are sitting in water? or maybe pick them sooner, we wanted to see how big they could get and lost a couple doing it

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 22:42 »
Like tomatoes, you can have non or poor polination problems. When the plants flower tap them gently to loosen the pollen. Lots of bees are handy but you can't always bank on them being around at the right time :) My greenhouse has a couple of Ceanothus  planted by the door and the bees seem to love them and I always find a few of them busy in the greenhouse.

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 22:55 »
Weve been given an aubergine thats also in the greenhouse and flowering lovely - how often should it be watered/fed if they dont like having wet feet?

aubergine

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 23:20 »
Had the same problems last year in the greenhouse,the aubs were in there with cucs ,toms and chillies.Eventually I took the aubs and the toms outside and the were fine after ,the formed fruit and were ok,but lost a few weeks.I blamed the cuc.....cross pollination ;) I am not sure....but separate everything was fine.This year I have keep the aubs separate and the are doing great,I do not know if this is just chance but that was the conclusion I came to...would love to hear expert advice.
Aubergine

lilou

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 16:12 »
Thanks everyone.  I think I am going to try and hand pollinate them and give them a helping hand.  They are also in the greenhouse along with the toms.and peppers.  I daren't take any of them out - its far too cold up here in Scotland to even think about that!!

xx
Cat repeller, urgently required

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 22:58
by yaxley
xx
In need of a Marrow doctor

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 13:56
by redfire
xx
Fruit Garden Help Urgently

Started by sj475 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 22:04
by BrianK
xx
advice urgently needed on strawberry plants?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 11:51
by cawdor2001

Page created in 0.824 seconds with 28 queries.