Cat repeller, urgently required

• 30 Replies

Totty

Cat repeller, urgently required
« on: March 07, 2013, 18:29 »
Next door have got a young blind, yes blind, cat. It has got into the habit of leaving the cat flap, over the fence, into one of my raised beds, doing its business and going home. In short it sees my garden as its litter tray. I've tried the gel repellent, seems to have no effect. May get a sound wave one if it persists. If I continuously run out and chuck the odd potato/stick at it, will it associate my garden with a bit of danger and therefore mess somewhere else.
 In the nicest possible way, I don't need any animal rights activist saying leave it be. When the kids and I are out planting stuff for us to eat, a handful of that horrible stuff is just about the only thing that gets my blood boiling.

Totty

digger1

• Experienced Member
Re: Cat repeller, urgently required
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 18:33 »
I think there is a product called lion roar it is Lion poo cats will avoid any area where it is put.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 18:35 »
As a cat owner - no as a person owned by cats - I sympathize.  I find white pepper round the edge of the' litter tray' works.  It masks the scent and makes the cat sneeze. making it an unpleasant place and also masking the territory instinct.  A bit more round the other beds will tend to stop the transfer of duties, so to speak.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

digger1

• Experienced Member

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 18:47 »
Can you fix some loose netting along the top of the fence,  it won't like stepping on anything that isn't solid, especially if it can't see where it ends.

This would be a more permanent version

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 19:27 »
I have heard that poultry poo pellets work.

Any cat poop you find belongs to your neighbour and should be returned to them as soon as possible ! ;)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 19:43 »
I've got 4 cats & I always tell my neighbours water pistol or hose for the more persistant offender.
Seems to work, most of the time they come in or use the outside litter tray, or in the case of one of my youngsters the greenhouse border  ::)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 19:54 »
Is that Kid or Kitten ?  :D
I cook therefore I grow

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 20:33 »
This reminds me of when our cat first started going out.  We once saw her pop over the fence, into next doors flower bed, did her business in a very dignified manner, then returned home. We thought what a good cat!

Seriously though, I don't think they like to do their business in their own space, (we've never found her mess in our garden).  Our old next door neighbour the other way had one of those high pitched audible animal repellers (not to humans though, apart from when their batteries are dying and believe me they are then the most irritating things on the planet to all concerned). There were lots of cats in the area and they all played in ours, the other neighbours, or neighbour but ones garden, but were seldom seen in the one with the repellers, except when ours was cutting across to get home more I quickly in the rain.

And if you do catch the cat at it, a spray bottle with water will probably work. They generally hate being sprayed with a little water.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 21:37 »
Is that Kid or Kitten ?  :D

Kitten  :lol:  kids are too old for that lark ....... I hope

My mum has a phobia about cats so we bought her this really clever gadget its a PIR linked to a hose pipe, when something walks by the sprinkler belts out a burst of water & sounds a bit like a machine gun burst but low volume lol It works really well, too well actually my mums 87 not too good on her legs and often forgets it's on goes up the garden and gets a soaking!! she wont use it anymore but it did give us and her a good giggle

here  http://www.deteracat.co.uk/scarecrow_water_jet_pack.htm is something very similar ours was cheaper from Wilko's or B&Q can't remember which

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 21:42 »
http://www.deteracat.co.uk/scarecrow_water_jet_pack.htm

I bought one of those... 100% recommended ! Also keeps the foxes and badgers away.  :D

Ema

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 21:50 »
I used cayenne pepper on a front gravel area and it worked well you did have to keep topping the smell up.

I wouldn't throw objects at it but I you have a water pistol that will work well

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 22:06 »
Whippets are very good, as are Jack Russells. :lol: :tongue2:
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 22:07 »
I've just covered  some of my soil with berberis prunnings hoping the thorns will deter them
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 09:49 »
I've just covered  some of my soil with berberis prunnings hoping the thorns will deter them

They will get YOU twenty times for every cat they get ! :D

xx
Aubergine doctor required urgently

Started by lilou on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 16:12
by lilou
xx
Fruit Garden Help Urgently

Started by sj475 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 22:04
by BrianK
xx
advice urgently needed on strawberry plants?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 11:51
by cawdor2001
xx
Help Required

Started by Gareth73 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 09:08
by Gareth73

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 38 queries.