Brooder question

• 2 Replies

Rubellite

Brooder question
« on: July 06, 2009, 17:46 »
Chicks are now 3 days old and doing well, ducks due at the weekend.
I have bought one of those wire mesh brooder cages, due to the cats and dogs licking their lips. :ohmy:
It has a mesh bottom with a metal tray to catch the droppings beneath it, which seems a complete waste of time as I've covered the mesh up because of their little feet. It was supplied with some corrugated card but I have currently got newspaper covered with the non-slip mesh type rubber matting. This seems to be ok but will have to clean it by taking it out and washing it, which leaves them back on the corrugated stuff which won't last long at the rate they poo. When the ducks arrive they will be dossing in the opposite end of the brooder, partitioned off, for the first week.
What do I need to do re the duck's feet and flooring. I would prefer to put down wood shavings for them all but can't think of a way to keep it contained.
Anyone have any bright ideas?  :wacko:

Vember

Re: Brooder question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 18:58 »
Don't put wood savings down for newly hatched ducks Rub, they'll try and eat it :(  Although you could cover wood savings with an old towel which would be ok :D

The rubber no slip stuff will be fine for them to be honest but by day 3/4 there will be water everywhere :lol:

Personally I always use old towels and cheap tea towels for the ducks once they are up and about as they are messy :D

Sarah :D

Rubellite

Re: Brooder question
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 20:07 »
Thank you Sarah  :)

xx
Why brooder?

Started by Alec Powell on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 20:01
by joyfull
xx
How much to run gas brooder

Started by poppies on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 15:34
by poppies
xx
Making a brooder box

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post January 08, 2007, 14:14
by muntjac
xx
Building a Brooder

Started by Cleo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2008, 15:39
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 30 queries.