Cheapest place to get woven ground cover?

• 3 Replies

offbeatwarble

Cheapest place to get woven ground cover?
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:32 »
hi all

as you will see in my other post have started allotment and tackling the weeds.
Having bought some landscape fabric found it to be useles.
Having read a bit on here i understand terram or terex woven polpropylene sheet is the way forward.

it does seem very expensive, can anyone recommend a supplier that does it at a reasonable cost probably need about 5m by 6m

thanks

offbeatwarble

Re: Cheapest place to get woven ground cover?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 20:02 »
Bump

Anyone able to assist?

Still stuggling to get the wees and grass under control, i have seen that alot of others up the alotment have covered over areas with fabric, is this the norm until the beginning of next year?  When would you put manure on, was going to cover the weeds until january in the hope most would die off then add manure
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 20:04 by offbeatwarble »

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 20:52 »
 Found this link on an old thread - may be of help?
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/recno/3/Phormisol-100g-m2-Ground-Cover-PRDR-GCP/

As you can tell - I'm not a "strictly" fan - others are probably watching  :D

As you will discover, there are lots of opinions on the "best" way forward! If you use manure, it will need to be rotted before you can spread it - however, some will put fresh manure on now and leave it over the winter before forking in - however, if you haven't tackled the weeds, they will love an extra feed of manure in the spring.
You could consider digging over some of the ground to remove weeds, which will be dying off soon, then either covering to prevent loss of moisture and nutrients, until the spring, or covering with manure - but be careful it's aminopyralid free.
Ground that you haven't had time to dig you may just have time to use glycophos thingy weedkiller if you want to, then cover and leave it until the spring. You can then fork out the weed roots and dig in compost. You may well have to just leave some of your plot fallow as you won't have time to dig it all over in the winter - what sort of soil do you have? If it's clay it will be difficult to work when frozen and shouldn't be stood on when wet as you'll compact it.

Once your soil is in good condition then some allotmenteers plant crops more or less year round rotating as they go - so no need to cover then. it depends how much time you have and what you want to grow really.
HTH
JMW - also struggling to get ground prepped - now been at it for 11 months!

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 22:13 »
I got a roll of 1mx100m for £19.99 off fleabay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDSCAPING-FABRIC-WEED-CONTROL-MEMBRANE-1M-x-100M_W0QQitemZ290350672204QQihZ019QQcategoryZ75584QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Only half way through putting it down, but seems much more sturdy than the c**p I bought from wilkos, I put it down 2 months ago, and its already broken down into 2 inch chunks.

"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

xx
Cheapest place for fruit ?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 19:22
by Yorkie
xx
Cheapest place for green manure?

Started by GrowinGrowinGone on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 19, 2012, 13:05
by GrowinGrowinGone
xx
Any thoughts on Ground Cover??

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 22:17
by Christo
xx
ground cover advice

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 09:16
by Kristen

Page created in 1.065 seconds with 31 queries.