ground cover advice

• 2 Replies

al78

ground cover advice
« on: September 22, 2013, 19:01 »
Today I emptied 30 bags of well rotted manure on a section of the plot which was previously hard compacted clay soil which I had broken up with a fork. I am considering getting another load of manure, but when I have got all the manure down, would it be a good idea to cover it with cardboard over winter (to reduce nutrient leaching by rain) or should I just leave it uncovered?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: ground cover advice
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 19:14 »
Long time since I had a clay soil to deal with, but one of its advantages is that it doesn't easily leach out its nutrients because it's so water-retentive.

You already seem to have done exactly the right things - no need for cardboard, just leave it as it is and then turn it in (conditions permitting) in early spring, but remember that newly manured soil is not ideal for root crops like parsnips and carrots.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: ground cover advice
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:16 »
In the days when I dug hard compacted clay I put the manure "under" it, so to speak, so that there was no "insulation" on top and the frost would break up the clods.   Depends how thick the manure is as to how much insulation it might provide, and if you are planning to rotavate in the Spring I guess it would be even-Stevens?

Be interested to know what other think in terms of letting frost attack clay soil.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:36 by Kristen »

xx
Any thoughts on Ground Cover??

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 22:17
by Christo
xx
Where to buy Sheeting for Ground Cover

Started by chrisb1357 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 08:37
by Kristen
xx
Black Plastic / Ground Cover

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post November 30, 2007, 22:13
by noshed
xx
growing veg in ground cover sheeting

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 08:02
by Ema

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 39 queries.