Cheers
DAve
CIMG7420 (Small).JPG
CIMG7421 (Small).JPG

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: can you id this fruit bush?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 22:46 »
Is there any reason for it not to be a blackcurrant bush that hasn't been pruned for a while?  (I don't grow currants so couldn't say for sure)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 22:48 »
First thing I thought too Yorkie, Ive just got some cuttings and the leaves and bark colour are exactly the same
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 22:49 »
Been picking our blackcurrants this very evening. Worth keeping if you like them  :D

Rob 8)

Ropster

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 22:49 »
looks like a black currant to me, rub a leaf between your fingers and smell it they have a very strong blackcurrnty smell

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 23:16 »
Certainly looks like a blackcurrant to me, mind you it does look as if a good prune will do it good after its finished fruiting.  I picked most of mine yesterday, took hours, then last night and part of today, picking all the bits off I don't want like leaves stalks and critters, and froze 9.5lbs of blackcurrants.

Not bad for something I found growing out the side of the old patio!!

When you prune it, if you do like blackcurrants, then dip the prunings in rooting powder and plant them, I did mine in a pot 2 years ago, and although it was a bit early, Julyish, I had 24 little blackcurrant bushes that I gave away the following year!!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 05:25 »
Definately a blackcurrant.

It looks as though it's in a very dry location, right next to a wall. I'd go down Grannie Annie's lines of using it for cuttings and getting some established in  the open.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 07:26 »
Certainly looks like a blackcurrent that needs a better area to grow in. Leaves look as if they are a little yellow.

Grannie Annie says wait until it has finished fruiting then prune? Would have thought that if it was fruiting then you would have known what it was.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 08:55 »
Certainly looks like a blackcurrent that needs a better area to grow in. Leaves look as if they are a little yellow.

Grannie Annie says wait until it has finished fruiting then prune? Would have thought that if it was fruiting then you would have known what it was.

Not always Annie, Ive never grown fruit before myself and it can be confusing between the different berries  to see it on a bush instead of in a plastic punnet!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 15:49 »
Yes AnnieB it is fruiting as you can see on the fist picture, but like Peapod says, not everyone knows what all the fruits look like.  It could be something deadly looking like blackcurrants!!!

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 16:02 »
Someone posted a few days back that to test currant bushes rub or crush a leaf - if theres no smell its red or white currant, if there's a strong smell its blackcurrant - I haven't a blackcurrant to try, but there's certainly very little "currant" smell with my red & white currnat bushes - and I agree it looks like blackcurrant too :)

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 20:35 »
Thanks everyone, comprehensive replies as ever.

I am off out now to scratch and sniff.  Have to say in my defence I did think blackcurrant but as said above thought I better check with the experts first.  :)

xx
FRUIT BUSH

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 18:12
by arugula
xx
FRUIT BUSH

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 23:41
by viettaclark
clip
What Is This Fruit Bush Please?

Started by Littlemisspolly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 10:52
by Aunt Sally
clip
Fruit bush for ID

7 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 22:23
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.71 seconds with 28 queries.