B.Sprout concern

• 4 Replies

goose

• Experienced Member
B.Sprout concern
« on: July 01, 2009, 22:10 »
i planted my brussels out about 6 weeks ago in their new shiny home (netted cage).....all was going well apart from an attack of whitefly.  i have been away for the past 10 days (yes, the hottest for ages) and have found them rather stout and bushy.  they have huge leaves but havent grown in height at all :(...the few sprouts that should have formed between the leaves are non existent or blown. :(  is this a heat/lack of water problem?? will they recover?? or should i bin them and plant my back up plants that are in the cold frame (not looking great either but could have more potential)?? :(

thanks in advance :mellow:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: B.Sprout concern
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 22:14 »
Were/are they really well firmed in? Not doing this is usually the reason for blown sprouts.  On the ones that havent formed sprouts yet firm the ground around them and earth up the stalks as well (again very firmly), feed with sulphate of ammonia and hopefully the remaining ones will give you good stuff  :D

Id also plonk the ones in that you have (room permitting) and remove the ones that have blown already
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 22:50 »
thanks peapod.  i did really firm them in and earthed up the stem when i planted them.  i will try earthing up again and feeding them as suggested.  should i remove some of the leaves?  i have grown sprouts for years but never seen them go so bushy and wide with no height before. :(

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 22:57 »
Remove any yellowing/dying/dead/ ones if you have any
Funnily enough, youve mae me realise Ive got one just the same (with a bit of height though) at the end of the bed where others failed near it.  Maybe its a good sign, and its putting out a good system before sprouts are formed?

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:30 »
sorry i forgot to ask, what is sulphate of ammonia and does anyone know where i can get it :blush:

xx
Peach Tree Concern

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 20:01
by Sharonx
xx
Bark chips concern

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 06:21
by compostqueen
xx
Shallot sets concern

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 17:12
by Silva
xx
sprout or not a sprout?

Started by R6robbo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 21:40
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 27 queries.