Peach Tree Concern

• 7 Replies

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Peach Tree Concern
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:28 »
Hi - I have 2 trees at home in large pots. One is a Darling and the other a Red Haven. The Darling has lots of green leaves and pink flowers where as the Red Haven started to bud up at the same time as the other, looks like it started to produce the flowers which now don't look very good & the leaves are virtually non existant with just a few sprtouting from the top. My biggest concern is that this one also has lots and lots of sap excreting from it, literally dripping down it. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with it? Should I be doing anything with it?
I brought them both last year at 2 year old trees which I was told should be producing this year, doesn't look very good to me. Any advice appreciated. Thank you

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Peach Tree Concern
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 20:32 »
The second tree doesn't sound very well  :(

I haven't grown peaches but I wonder whether it might be bacterial canker?
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=86

In any event, make sure that you are scrupulous about hygiene.  Clean and disinfect any pruners etc after touching the ill tree, before touching anything else, so as not to transfer any problems (assuming they are transferable - but better safe than sorry until you know what you're dealing with)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 21:19 »
Thanks Yorkie - doesn't sound very promising does it! I have phoned the nursery today where it was purchased from but the guy that would be able to give advice was in a meeting so he is going to give me a call tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to tell me exactly what it is and whether there is a cure. I read on your link to use bordeaux mixture so there is hope for it to be saved if that is what it is. Will post his reply when i have spoken to him tomorrow. Thanks again!

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 21:20 »
Hi - I have 2 trees at home in large pots. One is a Darling and the other a Red Haven. The Darling has lots of green leaves and pink flowers where as the Red Haven started to bud up at the same time as the other, looks like it started to produce the flowers which now don't look very good & the leaves are virtually non existant with just a few sprtouting from the top. My biggest concern is that this one also has lots and lots of sap excreting from it, literally dripping down it. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with it? Should I be doing anything with it?
I brought them both last year at 2 year old trees which I was told should be producing this year, doesn't look very good to me. Any advice appreciated. Thank you

Sharon, I have a similar problem to your Peach with my Apricot. It too started to flower and show emerging leaves and then it died back. We had had a frost, but I had protected it and was pretty sure it was not frost damage.
We noticed tiny piles of sawdust on the trunk and on  the branch collars. The tree is four years old
I drenched it with water and next day noticed sap oozing out of pin prick holes.

I posted here when it happened a couple of weeks ago and received some good advice
among which was this link from Trillium about Goat Moth.

http://www.botanical-online.com/english/apricotflora.htm

I hope your problem is not this serious. Howver, it's worth a look at the link if only to discount it.
Good luck!

Little by little a bird makes its nest!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 22:57 »
I knew it sounded more like a borer as I had identical problems when I had cherry trees.
Sounds like you have peach tree borers and the sap is the giveaway.

Here's some identification and treatment, but mostly I think you should have a word with your supplier as a 2 yr old tree shouldn't already be affected. I'd ask for an exchange and check closely that the replacement isn't already infected at the garden centre.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7866596_sap-run-out-peach-tree.html

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 13:50 »
I have now spoken to the nursery & have been told that this is quite normal this time of year & nothing to worry about. The tree is apparently settling down & getting it's self ready. In young trees the bark is thin & as the sap travels up it leaks out. Have been told to leave it a fortnight & then if it hasn't stopped to call them back. Will have to wait and see now, hopefully she is right  :)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 15:23 »
Well, they must grow trees differently in the UK than Canada. I've had peach trees for many years and not once have I seen sap leak at the start of the season. And you can bet that I keep a close eye on my trees for pests so I can eliminate them before the season starts.

If the sap leaks out in young trees, even slightly, the tree is at great risk of either dying or offering easy entry to borers. And it's very likely been damaged. My personal opinion is that the seller has handed you a huge load of ****.

Go to other garden centres and see if their peach trees leak sap, especially to the extent you're describing. I'm betting that you don't see a single leaking tree.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 20:01 »
I have my doubts too Trillium, but will give it the 2 weeks thay have said & then  assured I will be on the phone. It is from a very reputable nursery, family run & always mentioned on here so I am confident they will sort it out. Will post update

xx
Peach tree

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 07:56
by gobs
xx
Peach tree

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2018, 14:24
by jambop
xx
peach tree

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 11:23
by oddpaws
xx
peach tree

Started by jevennett on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 00:05
by Trillium

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 37 queries.