damn slugs

• 13 Replies

dawnj

damn slugs
« on: June 29, 2009, 21:45 »
I need advice on how to get rid of all the slugs in  my raised beds there on my lettuce, cabbages, caulis and brocolli!! the plants are doing so well too apart from the bottom leaves where I think its all down to these slugs...whats the best thing for them!! :unsure:

AndyRVTR

Re: damn slugs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 21:48 »
Hi Dawn... i've just had the same problem and managed to sort it using slug pellets...  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 21:53 »
I use pellets but if you prefer not to do so, there are things like beer traps and grapefruit halves which are kinder to wildlife.  And don't even try searching for the thread all about scissors and night-time hunts  ::)

There is a slightly more organic / wildlife friendly slug pellet called something like Advanced Slug Killer which you might want to look out for.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

dawnj

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 21:58 »
thankyou I will get some pellets tomorrow the slugs are so disgusting!!

Sal1610

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 22:13 »
Beer traps are great - I once caught 150 slugs in a night, ugh! I used cheap supermarket own brand lager at about 20p a can, in plant pot trays pushed into the ground.

Chickens are even better! If you want to keep them, or can keep them, that is. They've pretty much deslugged my veg garden.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 22:18 »
Torch, at night, with a trowel or hoe for cutting purposes ....................

Werks fer me  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lulabel

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 22:38 »
I have used organic slug pellets, the guy opposite my plot has used ordinary ones and both of us have been successful in keeping them off.  I was interested to see if the non organic were better but it seems in our case they are about the same.

Riala

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 22:40 »
Also, get yourself some Copper tape, I put it on the top of all my wood on my raised beds, never had a problem since.

Apparently, they will not cross copper... how strange! Ants as well will not cross it.

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 22:51 »
Vaselines meant to work if you run a line of it all the way round, and egge shells crushed up, or try tempting some (non-crop destroying) birds with feeders? Ive been trying to train our cats to attack them, with little success. Weve resorted to pellets, you can get some good ones that are pet and kid friendly too!

JoseyJo

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:25 »
I tried these wool pellet thingies this year and they seem to have worked really well. You scatter them around plants, or i scattered them in defensive lines around each bed, then they form a sort of felted matt when they get wet. The slugs won't cross this as it irritates their sticky foot. Added bonus is that the wool breaks down eventually and adds some nutrients to the soil, also keeps weeds down.

I ordered a big sack at about £30, it will last me the whole season and i havn't had any significant slug damage. I also use beer traps, but caught a toad in one the other day  :(  so have had to suround them with mesh to stop the toads getting in.
Josey

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:37 »
I use slug pellets but in home made traps so a little more organic and other animals don't pick them up by accident. Its a small pot yogurt or similar sunken into the ground with 2 about 10" canes pushed into the ground either side with a pot over the top leaving enough room for the slugs to get in. Could also use beer  :D
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 23:21 »
I tried these wool pellet thingies this year and they seem to have worked really well. Y

They sound good, Josey, where did you get them from?

JoseyJo

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 21:50 »
Hmmm, can't remember where i got the wool pellet thingies, would prob have been either organic gardening catalogue or Wiggleywigglers. They are called (hang on, just run to garage to see........).....'Slug gone' by a company called 'Growaid'.

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 22:03 »
Quality! They seem very cheap?! And theyre just down the road from me too - bargain!! Ta very much!!  :)

xx
Damn! Damn! Damn! - Spud Question

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 16:08
by Babstreefern
xx
how to get rid of my damn brambles

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 13:55
by duncan
xx
Damn rodents

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2020, 08:43
by Russell Atterbury
xx
Damn spuds

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 05:33
by Kristen

Page created in 1.437 seconds with 36 queries.