watery hen eggs

• 3 Replies

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
watery hen eggs
« on: June 29, 2009, 16:33 »
Hi ppl, just wondered if any1 has any info on hen eggs. I recently purchased some battery hens and when cracking open their eggs ive noticed its like a normal egg but with a watery substance around it, but quite a lot of it. Any ideas on what it could be??? Any advice appreciated.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: watery hen eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 17:46 »
The more watery whites are because the chickens are getting old.  Old eggs also get mroe watery whites, but in your case with ex batt hens the hens are getting old  :(  Nothing wrong with the eggs though!  :D

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15 »
Thanks for the reply Grannie Annie, but are you sure its because they are getting old? I have saved battery hens before Grannie and never seen this. I also have some 5 year old light sussex and their eggs are still great. Never had any problems with other birds either, my polish are over 2, I have 3 year old mixed banties and still never encounted this problem. Another thing, the farms get rid of these birds at around 9 months old, they would of been laying for the last 4 or 5 constantly, so the most I would say they could be is 1 yr old... Im still not gonna try eating these eggs, will get rid of them for atleast 1 month to be sure that they are only producing eggs from the feed I give them. I have small children and do not want to risk anything. Thanks for the advice though Grannie, have a good day...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:56 »
Hi Mark, well that's what I've always been told.  The farms don't usually get rid of the chickens until they are 72 weeks old, some of the newer strains lay well for 80 weeks now.

But hybrids are not bred to lay for long so they seem to age quicker than pure breeds.  I know there are other reasons for watery whites, but that was the first thing that came to mind when you first posted.

xx
One of the girls is laying eggs with watery whites any ideas?

Started by mamashango184 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 17:17
by treacleminer
xx
Watery poo

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2012, 12:05
by ANHBUC
xx
very watery poo

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 08:37
by grumpydad
xx
watery poo

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 16:46
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 28 queries.