Watering

• 8 Replies

tallgingerbloke

Watering
« on: June 29, 2009, 13:20 »
Simple question, I have just started on an allotment, cleared it and now planting furiously to get something this year. I have only just got my shed up which is my only source of water and during this dry period.....I've run out.
How much water should I be putting on each plant and how long can they survive without any? I am going to have to take some down with me each day I suppose

Bit of a vague question I know but that's how I feel

Cheers
Thinking of calling my shed "the Dun Inn".

Casey76

Re: Watering
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 13:48 »
You have no running water at all on your site?  Wow, that's harsh!

I grow in my garden and check twice a day.  As a lot of my toms are in pots I'm watering twice a day.  The raised beds get a saoking about every 2 days (depending on the weather and turgidity of the leaves)  I've only just planted in the ground, and everything got a good soaking the day they went in (Saturday).  I'll have to see whay they look like tonight.

WRT your plot, do you have access to a van/trailer, and perhaps take a couple of 50/100L barrels up.  It would save ferrying smaller amounts around more often.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 13:50 »
Hello and welcome - vague reply too, but a little sprinkling will only tickle the surface, not the roots that need the water. A decent dousing is probably whats needed in the present heat, but not easy in the circumstances you descibe.  

Maybe plan to store more water if you can. Offers of blue barrels come up on the swap & recycle forum, for extra water storage, or if you can afford, more bought in water butts and a bit of guttering for your shed for when it rains - but guess you've already thought of this.

Good luck whatever you do, and hope your arms don't ache too much!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 14:04 »
i water when i initially plant stuff but once things are established i dont tend to bother, except my squashes, they get 2 litres everyday unless it has rained then i dont bother.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 15:36 »
If its really bone dry then I water. Im careful to make sure my spuds, corguettes and swede dont suffer

Its recommended to give them a good soaking once a week in weather like weve been having, better than a surface sprinkle every day.  I dont water my carrots or snips at all
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 15:39 »
Don't forget to water your beans every couple of days in this hot weather too!  ;)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Ropster

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 15:56 »
I think appart from seedlings and pots, things once established should be able to cope

However it is 30+ degrees outside with no rain for a while so I might relent and give everything a soaking

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 16:16 »
Water late evening so that it soaks in overnight. Most crops will find enough water so concentrate on newly planted things giving them a soak. Sprinkling over a large area may look good at the time but helps the plants very little.

When it has rained, or after you have watered, put mulches around your crops. Compost, grass clippings, mushroom compost. Hoe the ground lightly between the rows to establish a dust mulch.

tallgingerbloke

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 20:45 »
thanks guys, guess I'll do my Aquarius thing, or perhaps a milk maid thing, thanks for the pointers   :D

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Watering

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 03, 2008, 15:57
by Steve.P
xx
Watering

Started by Jabba2006 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 09, 2007, 10:18
by paintedlady
xx
Watering

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 14:31
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 29 queries.