New virgin plot advice

• 7 Replies

xpers

New virgin plot advice
« on: June 26, 2009, 11:04 »
Hi

Just joined so first post!

I have just got (after three years on the waiting list) an allotment.  It is five rods in size and it is a virgin plot (council brought a field for new allotments). At present it is simply a ploughed empty plot.

There is quite a bit of chopped up weed mixed in there which I know has to come out but after that I am a bit stuck.  Should I be concentrating on the layout, structures, and soil etc in preparation for some of the autumn/winter and next year's crops, or should I be getting some beds dug quick and plant some of the veg you can still plant now.

Where would your main focus be?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:12 by xpers »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: New virgin plot advice
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:13 »
First of all read Johns article here... http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php he gives some very good advice on starting and clearing, Always clear a small patch and work on it bit by bit, to try and tackle a whole plot in one go will probably be too much and you will end up doing half a job and lose interest. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 11:43 »

Hi xpers,

It is daunting isn't it!!!  First I would get cracking on digging a few beds so you can at least get a few goodies on the go  :)  You can still plant carrots, beetroot, swede, lettuce, radishes, french beans, marrows straight into the soil and maybe start some winter cabbage, purple sprouting broccoli off in trays indoors... visit your local garden centre or Wilko, see what they have. 

What is the soil like? you could get some manure in and spread around the plot where you're going to be planting up next year.

Good luck and welcome to the message boards  :)

Sue

Penfold

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:31 »
I'm in a similar position, I took on an old plot that hadn't been used for over a year... the grass and weeds were so high I thought I'd find Lord Lucan.  As for the hard baked clay soil.... thank goodness for todays rain.

Even though I'm a newbie too I agree with the "tackle it in small bits" approach.  Also I found that now I've got some plants started in the first two beds the pshycological impact has kept me working.

I've also been taking pictures each time and this reassures me that while the site still looks like the East End after the war it is getting better.... dare I say "green shoots"?

Good luck with it...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 15:30 »
"I've also been taking pictures each time"

I think that's really important.  I photograph everything in the garden once a week. I don't do much in the way of keeping a diary (although I do have a sowed/planted/first & last crop dates to help me plan the veg. for next year), so the photos enabled me to answer "When did such-and-such happen" - particularly for the flowering plants

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 18:31 »
Well done you and welcome to the fold! You need a plan of how you are going to set it all out but, like you say, there is still time to plant now. Quickly get your plan done and allocate an area for planting that won't interfere with what you are going to do later on in autumn with digging, manuring and hard landscaping like paths and beds if you want those, plus where your compost bins will be and a shed etc. Cover the rest with plastic bags, feed bags, old carpet and so on so the emerging weeds left in the soil won't be so daunting as they emerge; then you can sow seeds or plant if there are any worthwhile plants for sale. Search out sources of manure, compost, grit (depending on your soil - take time to look at it and see if it's heavy, light, clay or whatever and where there is any drainage problems); also look at the weeds in the area to give you some idea of what is growing locally so you can get a basic idea of your soil (Hessayon's books state what weeds like what type of conditions); see where on your plot the sun shines in case there are any shady areas from nearby trees. Have a dig to see how much top soil there is as field cultivation may not be that deep so the top soil may not be that deep and you may have a "hard pan" underneath like I had so I did raised beds... there is so much but take it one step at a time and ENJOY IT!!! :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 18:33 »
Welcome xpers!

You might find this thread useful as well as the great replies above

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=39944.0
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 19:09 »
Do what I am doing.  A bit of everything. And a hoe is essential.

Ive done some digging, some rotovating and some planting. I am still being given stuff by other plot holkders.  Had some potted leeks given today. Only 15 but thats 15 leeks later this year to munch on.

I am preparing, planning, did I mention hoeing.  Nasty little bindweed. I keep getting little shoots even when I have dug, weeded and SIFTED the loam.  It only needs a centimetre of root to propogate a new shoot (within a week). Truly evil stuff.

I have built some raised beds, building a compost area and generally mixing it up with the other plot holders, learning some of what they know but generally just preparing the social soil.

Above all I am enjoying myself.  :D
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

xx
Virgin Plot!

Started by dezmc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 09:29
by Elcie
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
Tomato Virgin

Started by feelingbroody on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 17:47
by feelingbroody
xx
Beetroot virgin!

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 08:50
by Composto

Page created in 0.816 seconds with 29 queries.