Fennel Bulbs

• 8 Replies

Hils

Fennel Bulbs
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:00 »
I am growing fennel for the first time mainly for the bulbs.  Firstly how do I know when they are ready to harvest?  What time of year and what should they look like (I planted plugs end of May)?  Also can I let it flower and use the seeds, dried, in cooking.  Loving fennel so any additional hints and tips would be great!  Thank you.

gillie

Re: Fennel Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:08 »
I have not had much luck with fennel, but I understand that the seeds should not be sown before July.  They are ready when you see a solid looking bulb sitting on top of the soil, but mine have always been tiny.

If yours flowers (as I suspect they will) you will not get decent sized bulbs but there would be no harm in collecting and using the seeds.  I have a recipe which requires dried fennel stalks, so you might like to try that as well.

Cheers,

Gillie

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46 »
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/754/1.html

I'm having a go at growing them from seed, but they are still tiny yet. They aren't T&M, but the above image should give you some idea of what they look like and the size they "should" reach......wish all my efforts matched up to the photographs on the seed packets!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 17:14 »
"I am growing fennel for the first time mainly for the bulbs"

My understanding is that it is Florence Fennel that produces "bulbs" so either ordinary Fennel does too, or you do have the Florence one?

Sorry, haven't phrased that very well, and can't immediately think of how to improve it :( I'll just take a seat at the back of the classroom instead  :tongue2:

gillie

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 17:22 »
I assumed that Hils was growing Florence Fennel as it was sold in plugs, whereas ordinary fennel would be sold as a herb in a pot and certainly does not bulb up.

However I think that May was way to early to be planting them out and they will most probably bolt.

Cheers,

Gillie

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 17:24 »
My seeds went out in early May Gillie, so hopefully Hils will be OK - just never can tell tho can you?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 19:09 »
Last year I sowed florence fennel direct on 26th April, it grew huuuuuge and I really should have dug it up ages before I actually did, as it was rather stringy and did go to flower.

I sowed a few more direct on 29th June, they really didn't get anywhere near as big as the first batch before throwing up the flower shoot.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hils

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 19:16 »
Thanks for all the advise folks.  Keep it coming!!!!  What's your dried fennel stalk recipe Gillie?  Sounds intriguing... :unsure:

gillie

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 20:58 »
"What's your dried fennel stalk recipe Gillie?"

Chicken pot roasted over a bunch of fennel stalks and bay leaves.  It is from Elizabeth David's Spices, Salts and Aromatics in the English Kitchen.  I cannot give the whole recipe because of copyright restrictions.

I seem to recall she had another one involving pork chops.

Cheers,

Gillie

xx
Fennel bulbs

Started by holliday on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 21:52
by cawdor2001
xx
Fennel bulbs can you eat the leaves

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 17:50
by sclarke624
xx
Fennel

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 10:16
by Sadgit
xx
Fennel

Started by Tattyanne456 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 13:02
by Babyshoes

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 29 queries.