Chicken sounds

• 6 Replies

tonethebone

Chicken sounds
« on: June 24, 2009, 23:22 »
So, I'm new to all this, although I've kept several animals since I was a nipper and I've worked with all kinds of zoo animals from Elephants to chimps.

I'm intrigued by all the sounds my girls make. Whenever I talk to them or go near them they seem to mumble quietly to themselves as if to say "hello, what's he up to?"
Then there are the sounds they make when there's a bit of a scrap at the food station.

But I'm interested to know if there is any kind of list that explains some of the more common vocalisations so I can recognise what's going on.

wildwitchy

Re: Chicken sounds
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 00:16 »
Well mine make an announcement on laying an egg which is a really loud cluck rosey.

Sylvia speaks to me when I see her after coming home from work, she makes a certain high pitched squeel - squark cuk cuk, kind of noise? I dunno? She does the same noise every time so it must mean something.

Adolf does his cockerel bok bok when he feeds his ladies & they all come running seeing what he's found.

They purr when on my lap sometimes and at bedtime in the coop.

flangey

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 13:11 »
Hello, I know what you mean, they do have a huge range.  I read somewhere that the louder the noise the more unhappy they are, but I dont know how true that is.  What really makes me laugh is when they're walking all over my plants and I politley ask them to move along, they seem to answer you back, its great!! i would say the 'mumbling' sound is a contented one, they always seem fairly happy when they make that noise. 

I speak fluent cat, dog and horse though if that helps!!

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 13:39 »
ive noticed the purring when they are perching at bedtime, its lovely, my favourite sound, when i first heard it i wasnt sure where it was coming from as didnt expect to hear it from the girls.  nickyx

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 15:14 »
Makes sense about the volume. Quiet for local chit-chat (I'm ok, are you ok?) and loud for long-range alarms (the aliens have landed,etc).

Could you record the sounds and cross refer to their behaviour at the time ? (assumign you ave nothing better to do! ::))

Could be a useful resource for future keepers. :)

Rob 8)

janet12000

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 16:12 »
One of mine refused to come in to bed last night even though it was dark. :mad:
About 4 am this morning she made a terrific row. I thought it was the inevitable fox trying to get her. She was actually having a hissy fit outside the ducks house trying to get in!
I have never heard a hen squark so much!
I let her into the duck house and she calmed down, as at 4 am I can not be bothered to argue. x

wildwitchy

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 16:18 »
Makes sense about the volume. Quiet for local chit-chat (I'm ok, are you ok?) and loud for long-range alarms (the aliens have landed,etc).

Could you record the sounds and cross refer to their behaviour at the time ? (assumign you ave nothing better to do! ::))

Could be a useful resource for future keepers. :)

Rob 8)

Yes, when i get the chance. Could be very funny. But useful.

xx
sorry if this sounds really stupid, but.......

Started by janet12000 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 21:49
by janet12000
xx
hen sounds like a cockerel

Started by welshthistle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 08:19
by Sassy
xx
hen making cockerel sounds..

Started by chloe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 20, 2011, 11:31
by Beano
xx
Chuck sounds like Darth Vaider

Started by sharon barclay on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 15:59
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 30 queries.