Chucks and Willow

• 3 Replies

funky chicken

Chucks and Willow
« on: June 23, 2009, 20:14 »
We have ear marked the spot in our garden where our chicken run will be(OH reluctant to allow free ranging due to dog,and pond).
If all goes to plan the fence will run past the Willow tree and upto the Hawthorne hedge.We thought that the Willow would provide both shelter and bugs for the girls.What we don't want it to do though is poisen them! Like wise the hedge. :(
Any advice please ???
Also can't wait till our babes are old enough to come and live with us,then I will feel like a 'proper member',instead of just a lurker ::)

CDave

• Experienced Member
Re: Chucks and Willow
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 22:52 »
We have ear marked the spot in our garden where our chicken run will be(OH reluctant to allow free ranging due to dog,and pond).
If all goes to plan the fence will run past the Willow tree and upto the Hawthorne hedge.We thought that the Willow would provide both shelter and bugs for the girls.What we don't want it to do though is poisen them! Like wise the hedge. :(
Any advice please ???
Also can't wait till our babes are old enough to come and live with us,then I will feel like a 'proper member',instead of just a lurker ::)

We have a weeping willow with no leaves at all on the top, or at chicken neck hight. Ours fly to the top of the Willow and eat the leaves - and any that they can reach from the ground. They are all still with us - so worries about poisen. Hope this helps.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:41 »
My hens all free range and in my garden there are 4 very large weeping willows, about 10 "pussy willows" 3 wild and 3 bird cherries, 5 apples, 2 plums, 1 ash, about 50 laurels (the wilted leaves of which contain hydrocyanic acid I think  :ohmy: fatal if eaten!) and about 30 other native trees plus numerous shrubs (including hawthorn). The hens will often roost in the willows and the bramley tree, they dust bath and sleep during the day under the laurels, they eat a lot of bugs on the willows (willows are known to support more life than oak trees), and so far no harm has come to my hens. i think the only harm that may occur is if your tree gets an infestation or disease and you have to spray it with anything toxic, which I think would be very rare.
Staffies are softer than you think.

funky chicken

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 17:59 »
Phew,thanks for that you guys. :happy:
Will have to find something else to worry about now,I'm good at that :blush:

xx
Extending Run - Willow Tree - Will it be OK?

Started by CDave on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 21:04
by Ice
xx
new chucks

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 20:00
by Tony H
xx
I WANT TO KEEP CHUCKS?

Started by sydlin on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 17:13
by calli
xx
Nom-chucks

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 16:43
by scrappydoo

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 29 queries.