What has eaten my leeks?

• 16 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
What has eaten my leeks?
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:37 »
Had some leeks growing in cells and decided to plant the out at the weekend. They were about 5-6inches tall and went back to check on the plot a couple of days later and they have all been eaten down to the ground  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

1st time I have grown leeks and am totally gutted about it. Will this be rabbits? and will I have to cover them if I bother to grow them again?

Cheers
SG

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: What has eaten my leeks?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:41 »
Mine are still in cells, but I think my resident magpie has been teaching her brood of three how to peck for grubs and worms on them. Lots taken and even the markers have been pulled out (caught one of them doing that).  Sorry to hear about it. As nice a s the wildlife is they are still little blighters

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:44 »
no sign of them being lifted, just looks like they have been nibbled.. guess it is too late to sow more in cells?

barney rubble

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:49 »
no sign of them being lifted, just looks like they have been nibbled.. guess it is too late to sow more in cells?

Its like mine have just been pecked off at the base. I know its the maggies, as the cells are on raised racks. I guess it might be too late, but you can always try. its my first year on them, so somebody might advise differently

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 13:33 »
I've got Leeks on my plot too - still very small and spindly but getting there sloooooowly.  This is my first year, have never grown them (or much else) before.  There are plenty of Magpies around here but *touch wood* I don't seem to have had any problems with nibbled or uprooted seedlings  - yet. :blink:  I've got canes stuck in the ground around the plot with empty pop bottles on the top - (it was orginally a makeshift barrier with string between the canes to keep kids off while stuff was hidden under the soil - a kind of "hint, hint, there is something planted here so keep ORF please!") anyway - I'm now wondering if the rattling bottles have kept the birds away?  Just a thought....although I know Magpies are rather bawdy and cheeky and might not be bothered by a few rattles here and there.  Do you employ any scarecrow tactics Sadgit?
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 13:58 »
Scarecrow tactics? just my ugly mug one in a while :)

tis a good idea I must admit.. a tad late for this year now though :( :(

Lady Lottie

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 14:39 »
I haven't thinned mine out yet - don't really understand this thinning marlarkey - seems like such a terrible waste to me - I could send you the thinned out ones if you think they would survive!? :)  Does everyone just bin the thinned out seedlings - or does anyone transplant them?  Sorry if this is a really dopey (and off topic) question. 

barney rubble

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 14:48 »
I haven't thinned mine out yet - don't really understand this thinning marlarkey - seems like such a terrible waste to me -  Does everyone just bin the thinned out seedlings - or does anyone transplant them?  Sorry if this is a really dopey (and off topic) question. 

I'm the same - seemed such a waste, so I sowed virtually everything in single seed cells - can see instantly what you've got, pick the weaker ones out and much easier to transplant to their final home

Lady Lottie

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 14:55 »
I haven't thinned mine out yet - don't really understand this thinning marlarkey - seems like such a terrible waste to me -  Does everyone just bin the thinned out seedlings - or does anyone transplant them?  Sorry if this is a really dopey (and off topic) question. 

I'm the same - seemed such a waste, so I sowed virtually everything in single seed cells - can see instantly what you've got, pick the weaker ones out and much easier to transplant to their final home

Think I will do this next time maybe - its a question of space really.....I sowed everything direct this year.  I feel the same about the parsnips....they all look really healthy but they are really crowded - I am going to try and replant them and see what happens.  I'm sure its not the done thing but.....-oh well! :D

barney rubble

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 15:05 »
Yes space definitely a problem, but I've been using old racks for "high rise" growing - just rotate things so they get a share of the sunlight...time will tell if it works tho - thats also how I know its those naughty magpies, cos they are the only ones who can get up there!
2008_112309irissinkpond1735rackx20%.JPG

Lady Lottie

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 15:26 »
Blimey!  You have certainly made the most of the space you've got there!  Very enterprising :)

lucylike

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 19:06 »
Yes, I reckon either rabbits or birds had a good pick.

I think it's too late to sow some new ones but you could always get some seedlings from the garden centre.

greg.t

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 21:38 »
Hi sadgit l'm not for from you and l'm sure you can get some more leeks at marios at north skelton he always has lots in worth a look if your up this way... ;)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 23:19 »
Can't answer your question 'cos I didn't know whether slugs or snails would eat them (strong flavour)  but do you want me to send OH in with about 10 ready for transplanting on Monday?

mashauk

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 23:29 »
This is my last year trying to grow leeks, we've had leek moth the last 2 years, I'm going to fleece them in September as that's supposed to be when they lay their eggs, gotta be worth a try.  They're fine and growing and they were full size last year when the blasted things got em.

xx
Leeks being eaten at the bottom end

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 17:45
by AnneB
xx
Everything is being eaten...

Started by lewishamsarah on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 11:10
by GD
xx
What have you eaten??

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 20:57
by Ice
xx
onions being eaten

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 20, 2017, 13:09
by Enfield Glen

Page created in 2.525 seconds with 30 queries.