Question about strawberries

• 9 Replies

Casey76

Question about strawberries
« on: June 14, 2009, 19:27 »
Next year I plan on putting in some strawberries.  What is the best time of year for this?  If I bought mini plants from a nursery do I have to remove the flowers for the first year?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fruit  :wacko:

home made pie

• Experienced Member
Re: Question about strawberries
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 21:28 »
Hi, I got mine as young plants this March and they are just producing fruit now, in fact picked off 10 today and loads still to come.  I got mine from Thompson & Morgan via the links on this sites home page, click on allotment shop and follow links, I just had a quick look and apparantly there is still time to order and get fruit this summer

matron

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 22:15 »
I get my strawberry plants from Aldi round about March time. I have done this for the last 3 years now. Usually about £2.99 for 6 plants (2 earlies, 2 mids and 2 lates).

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 22:24 »
I bought and planted my small plants (Cambridge Favourite) mid March and got a small crop this year. They were very tasty and certainly impressed my 4 year old daughter!

Anyway, they've trebled in size, now have loads of dark green healthy looking leaves and produced numerous runners (cut off as soon as seen). We're now all looking forward to a bumper harvest next year. :D
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 00:17 »
If they are mini plants, quite honestly I have planted at any time of the year.  Bare runners would probaly be different.  What I mean is if they are mini plants anyway you are just repotting really.  I've even repotted when they are in flower carefully.

If you can bear to, yes, you are supposed to remove the flowers the first year.  But again I bet lots of people including myself don't.

They are very hardy.

This may help:
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_february_2_strawberry.asp

Beware of those special strawberry plant pots I''ve heard they are difficult to get water to all the plants.  I grow mine in troughs.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

matron

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 07:30 »
I would echo Sclarke624, I have a strawberry planter and have had great difficulty growing strawberries in it. This year I have re-planted it and it is stood in a big saucer, I then water from the top and keep watering until the water has run through and there is a puddle in the saucer. It seems to like standing in water.

Riala

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:35 »
This is my plant's 1st year, I got it and planted it in August last year and it has not really done much at all except grow a few more leaves:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:10 »
It looks a little bit dry to me Riala, but that may just have been at the precise time you took the piccie. They'll soon dry out with that sort of lining.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Riala

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:47 »
They get watered every day, and that pic is two weeks old and taken just before their daily drink.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:35 »
I bought strawberry plants from B&Q in bud about two weeks ago and planted them in hanging baskets.  I have a nice crop now of tiny green strawberries coming! 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
Strawberries question

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 20:19
by sawnee
xx
strawberries question

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 18:48
by chrissie B
xx
strawberries question

Started by antwilk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 16:19
by Goosegirl
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.601 seconds with 29 queries.