size of run?

• 7 Replies

Janschooks

size of run?
« on: June 06, 2009, 22:32 »
Hi,
I've been trying to find the minimum/recommended size of a run per medium sized chicken and have had different quotes.
One says 15 square ft per bird another 3 square meters another 3 square yards etc.

Can someone please tell me the right area per bird? My run will be 2.4 meters w and d or just over 15 ft w and d. I can make this a bit bigger if I need to for a max of 6 medium sized chickens.
Thanks Jan

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
Re: size of run?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 00:03 »
1mtr2 per chicken is bare mimimum. But this depends on what the base material is... As a basic rule of thumb for permenant runned hens though you won't be far wrong.

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 07:00 »
15ft is 4.6 metres so not sure of the maths here. If 2.4m square you have 5.8 sqm. Someone will be along in arouind 5 minutes to say that 2sqm per bird is minimum for a small run and 1sqm per bird is more for a large paddock with lots of chucks. On that basis, and as a beginner I am not about to challenge the established orthodoxy, 2.4 me on each side would probably be OK for 3 chucks. 15 ft per side on the other hand is over 20 sqm and I imagine that 6 birds would be very happy in there! Mine have a little under 2sqm each but spend most of their time free ranging anyway. Good luck!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:18 »
The absolute minimum = 1 m² or 10 square feet.  ( Your run WILL turn in to a mud bath unless you have a roof and cover the floor with wood chippings)

You would be better off with 2m² (21.5square feet) or greater. 
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Janschooks

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:10 »
Thank you all for the replies.

Not being a great mathematician but to work the square foot or square meter do I times the sides to get the square of? for example the run will be just over 15 ft on each side so by
15 x 15 = 225 so is this the square foot? or do I have to divide this by something? Obviously if this is the square foot I will def not be keeping 22 chickens - max of 6.

I have found a decorators site that sells water proof tarpaulin a 18 ft x 12 ft for £8.99 I ordered this size before deciding to make the run bigger so will buy another to completely cover the run and part of one side as a wind breaker. I am planning to put hemcore or another of this product I've seen available aubi something or other slighly cheaper than hemcore and softer.

Thanks Jan

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:39 »
well 15 feet by 15 feet by my little old grey cells works out at 25 square yards so that is plenty of room if you are having 6 hens - sorry it's in old money but a long time since I went to school and have not got the hang of this new metrification thing yet  :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:41 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 12:30 »
I'm getting worried now....I've got a small raised coop with a m2 ground space below and a run of about 2 1/2 m2 which is on grass and moved every 2/3 days. I also put in a box of fresh dug earth every 2 days for grit and dust bath.
At the moment I don't want to let them out to free range. Am I giving them enough space etc.? I've got 3 girls and they seem happy.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 12:40 »
This gives you 3.5 square meters which is just over the minimum of 1 square meter per hen it is just enough, but as you say you move it around every couple of days so they always have fresh grass. Like you say your hens are happy so no problems  :D

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
Size of run

Started by OLLIE on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 11:02
by celtbhoy
xx
run size

Started by nic n dave on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 11, 2012, 19:32
by yorky
xx
Egg Size

Started by Des C on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 15, 2007, 18:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 29 queries.