Size of run

• 21 Replies

OLLIE

Size of run
« on: May 06, 2009, 13:33 »
I currently have 3 hybrids in a run 130cm wide and 230cm long.  Inside are various boulders and branches for the girls to perch on along with a dust/dirt bath and turf area.  Do you think this is okay?
I let them out in the garden in the morning before work for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs and then again after work until they go to bed.  To be honest, even when the door is open, they only really come out when I am in the garden.  Apart from that they seem to like hopping and scratching around in the run.  Is this normal?

Sue33

Re: Size of run
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 13:48 »

Hi Ollie,

My run isn't much bigger than yours to be honest (roughly 5ft x 7ft in old money) and I've got four girls  :) they do come out in the garden every day though from about 4pm till bedtime,  by what you've said they sound happy enough, are they laying you lovely eggs :)

OLLIE

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 13:49 »
Not yet!!  They are about 18-19 weeks old now so I am hoping that they will start in a few weeks.  How do you keep your run floor fresh?

Sue33

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 13:54 »

our floor is basically soil and then straw (miscanthus) on top which I rake up every couple of days and put on the compost.  When I check on them in the morning to give them fresh water and food I always sweep up any poop in the coop and in the run, once they're let out they do tend to do a "big one" so I watch them for a bit and scoop it up  :)  to be honest I didn't realise how much they do poop, I tend to go round the garden in the evening and collect any from the grass as well, all goes on the compost :)  how are you finding it?  What have you go in your run?

OLLIE

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 13:57 »
I have got a bluebelle, a copper black and an amber star.  It is so addictive!! No sign of any of them picking on each other which is good  :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 15:16 »
OLLIE
Your run is too small the views on this forum are that you must have 2m squared minimum per chicken.  In old money that is 21.5 square foot per chuck.  You have been told this in another thread.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=36008.msg430454#msg430454

They may seem happy but how would they know anything else.
.... are they laying you lovely eggs

Sorry Sue33 but battery chickens lay eggs and I can assure you that they are no where near a as happy as a chuck that is outside in a 2m squared run per chicken.

Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 16:58 »
roughlee's right - although the minimum specifications from defra say 1m sq per hen (which ollie's is exactly!), WE all suggest 2m sq per hen.
even making your run up to 2metres by 230cm will add 1.6 m sq to your run. (makes 4.6m sq)

basically - your best bet is to try to make it 2m by 3m, which will be 6 and better for your chucks.

even better if they get to have free reign of the garden for a couple of hours in the evening!

OLLIE

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 17:02 »
Thanks Andreadron.  I will have to see if my OH can build a run extension but they do get free run of the garden whenever we are in.  The only time the coop is closed is when we are at work and at night.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 17:15 »
Don't forget while you're on holiday Ollie.  They can't free range then !

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 17:58 »
I have a similar size run for 3 and people seems to have different views ranging from the henhouse view of needing 2sqm each to "the run's fine for 4"... Ours will free range once they have settled in but for us, 3 small kids means no hols  :(

celtbhoy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 19:07 »
so my 9.5 feet x 4.2 feet run not including the coop...how many chicks?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 20:47 »
quote author=celtbhoy link=topic=36128.msg431801#msg431801 date=1241633263]
so my 9.5 feet x 4.2 feet run not including the coop...how many chicks?
[/quote]

9.5*4.2=39.9 gives your square footage.
1 chicken to 21.5 square foot

This means you would only be able to have 2 chickens maximum in your run.

But as your run is on earth and does not have roof it will soon turn to mud, chicken deep. 

How high is your run?

I have noticed that you have run out of weld mesh and used plastic mesh on the roof.  It would not take a fox long to chew through that.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 20:47 »
it's 2.92m x 1.29m = 3.78m sq

it's okay for 3 if they're free ranging.
i wouldn't have fewer than 3 hens, so you might want to make it a bit wider.
can you make it up to 6ft wide?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 21:26 »
it's 2.92m x 1.29m = 3.78m sq  Correct. But on this forum it is suggested that chickens have at least 2m squared.

it's okay for 3 if they're free ranging.Err if they are free ranging then why would they need a run?
can you make it up to 6ft wide? This run has no solid roof and is on earth it will turn into a mud bath in a matter of days when it rains.  celtbhoy lives in Ireland, it rains alot there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 21:46 »
it's 2.92m x 1.29m = 3.78m sq  Correct. But on this forum it is suggested that chickens have at least 2m squared.
keep reading!

it's okay for 3 if they're free ranging.Err if they are free ranging then why would they need a run?
i meant being allowed to free range for a large part of the day

can you make it up to 6ft wide? This run has no solid roof and is on earth it will turn into a mud bath in a matter of days when it rains.  celtbhoy lives in Ireland, it rains alot there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: golly, it does!!  i was more worried about the size than the rain issue.
of course, he would need to put some kind of cover on - preferably clear plastic- we found that out after a particularly wet month last year! it was like living on the bog of eternal stench!!  :tongue2:

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
Egg Size

Started by Kerry on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 09:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
What size?

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 09:01
by Roll Roll
xx
size of run

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 00:47
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 29 queries.