Is this suitable for Chickens

• 23 Replies

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Re: Is this suitable for Chickens
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 19:43 »
Hi there

I kept 3 chickens in one of those hutches which we already had from keeping guinea pigs.  But we got the bug quite badly so now have 4 chickens and 3 chicks in 2 of these hutches.

We just used some thin hardboard from a B&Q (other DIY stores are available  ;)) cut it to the shame of the large opening where the mesh had gone and each night we slot it in like we would have done the mesh (there's clips that it fits into).

I have raised it off the ground as apparently chickens like to be up but please don't tell anyone, I never got round to putting in a proper perch.  (that probably makes me a very bad chicken keeper)   :(

danmegal

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 21:56 »
Rabbit hutches are for rabbits and guinea pigs! However you may be able to squeeze a couple of bantams in a large hutch! Hutches make great nest boxes or housing for a broody. Full sized chickens need a decent size coup so they can perch at night and go in an out of during the day if they so wish! You may reduce the risk of mites with plastic hutch but not good to sit on their own poo all night!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 23:41 »
Mine don't sit in their own poo everynight cos I clean out the poo before they go to bed.

danmegal

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 07:23 »
I only speak from my experience and a lesson I learn't. I thought a large rabbit hutch would be big enough for some bantams, even managed to put a perch in. But it wasn't big enough really and they never used the perch, chickens poo alot in the night which meant there would times they would be sitting in it and I wasn't happy with that.

Foxy

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 08:29 »
Well we all had to start somewhere! :D
Fiftrix I saw the  lovely large run you have, so I expect they spend all the day rummaging around in that!  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 09:04 »
It's funny isn't it, I started with 3 ducks in an (expensive) ark suitable for 6-8 and they hated it. Had to shoo them into it every night. Numbers expanded (as they do) so decided to move up a little and adapted a cheap garden storage chest and they have loved it (can't get my broody out of it!).

So I'm definately in the make your own camp, maybe they can sense the love (Blood, sweat and tears - literally in my case) you have put into it!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

danmegal

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 09:17 »
Mines all homemade also, the hen house is years old, when I was a child it was always a dog kennel but my mom and dad kept chickens in it before I was born. It was passed to me for my dogs, but when the rabbit hutch got to small I treated the dogs to new kennel and have transformed the old kennel back into house for the chucks, so plenty of history, blood, sweat and tears!

seeker

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 10:01 »
thanks guys for you inputs

i have been offered a shed from my neighbours its this size http://www.telltheinternet.co.uk/images/shed.jpg without the windows

does it need windows and would the nests have to be elevated from the ground, what else would i need doing?

Foxy

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 10:15 »
hello seeker!

what great neighbours! :D Have a good read of this sticky.. :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=32947.0

xx
suitable settings for chickens

Started by barefoot nellie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 23:08
by pigeonpie
xx
Suitable for feeding chickens as treats?

Started by blulagoo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 08:38
by kimT
xx
Is this suitable?

Started by tam on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 19:15
by Sassy
xx
Help with suitable breeds please

Started by uba on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 08:05
by joyfull

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 37 queries.