Magpies

• 6 Replies

viettaclark

Magpies
« on: June 06, 2009, 09:54 »
Hi everyone!
I'm new so bear with me! I need advice about one of my (supposedly) pol chooks.
Here's the story....had a phone chat with a local chicken farm about buying pol pullets and she was all out but expecting a delivery and would ring me. Went down when she rang and bought (at extortionate prices I realise now) a Bluebelle (£18), White Star(£20) and Magpie.(£20) I trusted her and the chooks were all healthy looking. She said they had been vaccinated and wormed and from their combs I could see the Bluebelle was just in first lay but the other two were definitely older (she told me 19 weeks...) This was 8 days ago and they have settled in nicely with the Bluebelle giving me small pale brown eggs and the White Star medium white from day 1 (good girls) However the Magpie is not laying. She is healthy enough and not nervy but I notice she lies down much more than the others. I am trying to get her to roost, and there are other things that make me think she's naive....she took ages to understand dirt baths. I need to know how I can tell how old she is!!! Has anyone else had a Magpie that won't lay? I have also researched a bit and find Magpies are Maran hybrids so she should be fine? Thanks     Vietta

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Magpies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:59 »
Some of my pols didn't lay until they were 24 weeks or more so I think you will have to be patient with her  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 11:13 »
Thank-you! I'll be more patient!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 11:14 »
It will be worth the wait though  :D

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 12:05 »
Hi everyone!
I'm new so bear with me! I need advice about one of my (supposedly) pol chooks.
Here's the story....had a phone chat with a local chicken farm about buying pol pullets and she was all out but expecting a delivery and would ring me. Went down when she rang and bought (at extortionate prices I realise now) a Bluebelle (£18), White Star(£20) and Magpie.(£20) I trusted her and the chooks were all healthy looking. She said they had been vaccinated and wormed and from their combs I could see the Bluebelle was just in first lay but the other two were definitely older (she told me 19 weeks...)
Just wondering why you think the price is extortionate?

Michelle :wub:
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 14:39 »
Other suppliers in Hampshire seem to charge £12.50 - £15 but I don't mind too much because they're grrrrrrrreat! Maybe they're cheaper because they're breeders as well? Being the impatient type I didn't want to wait any longer and my supplier got birds in earlier!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 14:57 »
Give them a chance as a general rule most hens lay at about 24 weeks ish they are all different but thats a good average it also depends on the length of daylight.
My advice would be to feed them on layers and nothing else till they start laying and read up on a poultry information pages  :)

Yes they seem pricey I paid £6.00 a bird for mine x's
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Magpies, Getting rid of

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 15:34
by doubledug
angry
Magpies

Started by rileyslab on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 23:31
by Snoop
xx
Thieving Magpies

Started by nermal on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 22:23
by ssatt44
xx
Help magpies. Video evidence.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 18:37
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 29 queries.