Courgettes - where do they fruit

• 20 Replies

sclarke624

Courgettes - where do they fruit
« on: May 29, 2009, 01:35 »
Do the corgettes form below the flower  as cucumbers do or do they come through the middle of the flower.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Trillium

Re: Courgettes - where do they fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 04:04 »
Through the middle. And keep an eye on them or you'll soon have cricket bats  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 05:25 »
I think we may have wires crossed!

Shall we say behind the flower. Here's one I labeled earlier for another post...

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sheridal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:41 »
I have a corgette inside, will I need to pollinate it by hand?? There are lots of flies in the politunnel.  :wacko:

I have never grown courgettes before  ::)
Cheers

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:10 »
I have a courgette question too.  Should you take off the male flowers or leave them?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 08:34 »
courgettes pretty much look after themselves, just remember to keep harvesting - if you cut the fruit off whilst they are small your plant will produce lots more fruit, If you leave the fruit on, you end up with 1 giant marrow! I recon I get about 20 fruit off each plant in a season! It's a good idea to start feeding them now, as they fruit, to keep the plant's energy up, then they will keep producing right through til September!

And don't forget to eat the flowers - they are tasty! :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:26 »
Unlike some walks of life, males are essential when it comes to courgettes, the fruit needs to be pollinated. In the case of the polytunnel, I'd be better safe than sorry & hand pillinate them.

Elcie

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 11:33 »
courgettes pretty much look after themselves, just remember to keep harvesting - if you cut the fruit off whilst they are small your plant will produce lots more fruit, If you leave the fruit on, you end up with 1 giant marrow! I recon I get about 20 fruit off each plant in a season! It's a good idea to start feeding them now, as they fruit, to keep the plant's energy up, then they will keep producing right through til September!

And don't forget to eat the flowers - they are tasty! :D

I will stop taking the male flowers off then!!  What should I feed them with as I have a couple of courgettes growing, one which is probably about a week away from harvest?  I have tomato feed, comfrey juice and worm wee to choose from, or should I buy something else?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 11:38 »
my personal choice for feeding is comfry juice (well diluted) but any of those will do (also well diluted)

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 12:22 »
two of my squash plants are indoors and they have started to produce fruit even though they have not been pollinated. if they are not pollinated what will happen to the fruit? will the plant abort it? or will it continue to grow but not have seeds in it?
on one plant a small fruit was forming,even though it wasn't pollinated, then the flower dropped off the end of the fruit. the fruit stopped growing.
whats going on? I thought that they only fruit if pollinated but with my with my plants the females flowers have started to produce fruit even though they have not been pollinated.
i am confused.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 13:19 »
I thought that they only fruit if pollinated but with my with my plants the females flowers have started to produce fruit even though they have not been pollinated.
i am confused.

Think about it.

In order to get pollinated the fruit must be there in the first instance.

If they don't get pollinated, they don't get beyond the embyro stage & the fruit will not develop.

You don't pollinate the plant and then wait for the fruit!

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 13:57 »
Hiya

I cheated with my courgettes this year, I planted yellow courgette seeds! You can tell as soon as they start to form which is a courgette and which is the male bit.

I've just counted 18 on my best performing plant in the greenhouse! I can't believe it, lots of you last year had a glut and I had mine all getting eaten by slugs cos I had them in the garden. I am SO pleased with them this year, and I've got 7 plants!

Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 19:00 »
Hiya

I cheated with my courgettes this year, I planted yellow courgette seeds! You can tell as soon as they start to form which is a courgette and which is the male bit.

I've just counted 18 on my best performing plant in the greenhouse! I can't believe it, lots of you last year had a glut and I had mine all getting eaten by slugs cos I had them in the garden. I am SO pleased with them this year, and I've got 7 plants!

Herbie

Courgettetastic!  :D All you need now is recipes!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 22:14 »
And you couldn't start in a better place for recipes than ... the recipe part of the site  :D

My fav courg recipe is a chocolate courgette cake (tray bake).  Mmmm.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 23:46 »
Thanks all.

Do you eat the flowers raw.

Page created in 0.59 seconds with 37 queries.