New site meets lack of knowledge

• 31 Replies

Penfold

Re: New site meets lack of knowledge
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 21:59 »
congrats on the plot - lots of good advice already given, I just have a word of caution re the rotivator. It may be best to hand dig the site first to uncover or get out any rubble, bricks, glass, iron railings etc that may have been buried by previous owners. That is what I was up against when I got my plot and they were all 6-12 ins below the surface, just the right depth to cause problems with rotivating. And its not funny when the rotivator throws out a half brick!  :ohmy:

My biggest problem at the moment is that the ground is like rock with the occasional big crack that looks like it goes down to hades.... I think I'll get the shed up whilst the sun shines and then start my rain dance.... apologies in advance for any spoilt BBQs.... hopefully the spade will at least make some impact.

Should I attempt to dig anything at the same stage, manure etc to help improve/break down the soil?

gillie

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 06:03 »
If it is too  hard to dig - you can't dig!  If you spread manure on bone dry soil it will prevent the soil from soaking up any rain we have.

I would concentrate on getting rid of the top growth so that the surface is fairly bare and ready to accept rain.  Once the soil is good and damp you can spread manure to hold the moisture in.

It sounds as though you have a heavy clay soil.

Cheers,

Gillie

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 07:25 »
Heavy clay, phew! Every day I give thanks that I am on light fertile sand  ::)
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 07:40 »
Just have to wonder do you oldbean work for/own/have shares in a heavyweight woven, weed suppressing fabric company?  You seem to harp on about it allot.

I also suggested cardboard. Perhaps you'd like to ask the glyphosate supporters if they have  interests. FYI I don't have ANY interests in ANY of the materials I suggest on ANY forum on ANY website. I have also never suggested that anyone elses suggestion is driven by a commercial interest. I accept they post here to try and give something that someone will find helpful. Not all solutions suit all people, but if they don't get to hear about the alternatives they can't make a choice.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26828.msg423437#msg423437 was started waaaay before I joined, but as a result I found a much easier alternative to digging, but it  doesn't suit everyone.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 07:54 »

My biggest problem at the moment is that the ground is like rock with the occasional big crack that looks like it goes down to hades.... I think I'll get the shed up whilst the sun shines and then start my rain dance.... apologies in advance for any spoilt BBQs.... hopefully the spade will at least make some impact.

Should I attempt to dig anything at the same stage, manure etc to help improve/break down the soil?

Those cracks do go down FEET. I think if you wanted to grow stuff this year, deep beds (no pun intended  :D) might help. If you go up the A660 about 7 miles there is a great heap of soil at a junction (or was a week or two ago). You might be able to get the landowner to cart some down.

The ground will need tons of manure, so approaching a riding school might be useful. Then there's lime. I heard it improves the structure, how, I don't know. I think this year will be difficult until there's some significant rain. People don't seem to understand how little we've had round here.

Penfold

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 08:17 »

Re the road north do you mean the B660 out towards Kimbolton?....

cheers
Those cracks do go down FEET. I think if you wanted to grow stuff this year, deep beds (no pun intended  :D) might help. If you go up the A660 about 7 miles there is a great heap of soil at a junction (or was a week or two ago). You might be able to get the landowner to cart some down.

The ground will need tons of manure, so approaching a riding school might be useful. Then there's lime. I heard it improves the structure, how, I don't know. I think this year will be difficult until there's some significant rain. People don't seem to understand how little we've had round here.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 08:50 »

Re the road north do you mean the B660 out towards Kimbolton?....

oops, yes I should have said B660, there's a pub just before the Thurleigh turning, and the soil is/was on the corner. I may be able to let you know of a rotted sawdust supply too. Also near Clapham there is one of several of those municipal composters (stinks the place out, though the stuff's ok when you get it). A lorry load of that may help, but it seems woody, and I think it needs another year in a compost pile.

From what I gather, high speed composts are only halfway processed. They can do the first bit in weeks, but the next bit takes 12 to 18 months, and there's no fast road.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 12:53 »
My inclination would be to hire a beefy rotavator (possibly even small tractor with power-take-off driven rear rotavator) to get into the soil initially; going forwards, once the soil is broken up, you will probably be able to manage with something much smaller.

Ploughing is an alternative, that will "bury" the top inch, or so, which should put a goodly amount of weed seedlings out of action!

Depends how big a piece of kit you can get in there, and if there are any friendly local farmers or a plot holder - or even the association - who has the right equipment.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 12:57 »
Unfortunately we have had very little rain here, and the clay ground is like concrete. Some of the cracks you can get your hand in. Most machines will bounce off.

Penfold

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 20:21 »
Unfortunately we have had very little rain here, and the clay ground is like concrete. Some of the cracks you can get your hand in. Most machines will bounce off.

I did pop in to HSS and they very honestly said that even the beefiest rotovator they had won't be of any use at the moment.  As for the cracks you could loose Bear Ghrylls in one (hopefully).  For now I'll crack on with clearing the weeds and junk on the site and get the shed up.... well you need some where to make a brew!?!

Whilst I really love this hot weather some decent rain (at night) would be good.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 20:25 »
Rain is on its way friday night apparently.  I won't hold my breath. ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 20:35 »
Then there's lime. I heard it improves the structure, how, I don't know. I think this year will be difficult until there's some significant rain. People don't seem to understand how little we've had round here.

Lime improves the structure of heavy clay soil by causing flocculation, it causes the clay particles to clump together rather than laying closely together leaving small gaps for water air etc

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Penfold

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 22:54 »
I guess you'd need quite a bit for an allotment?.... Is this something I go to a garden center for?

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 05:57 »
It's difficult to find it in big bags, and the small tubs in garden centres are far too expensive. A growers supplies might be better. This seems expensive. This is better. You could ring these. What about your allotment association?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 06:15 »
When I click on "buy" on link 2, it connects to the same page as link 1 and the price goes up!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
No growing knowledge Any help pleeeease

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 16:29
by casper
xx
redcurrants or lack of?

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 06:02
by spadework
xx
Sweetcorn.....or lack of it

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 09:39
by JayG
xx
Lack of apples

Started by andimac on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 30, 2015, 12:14
by Anton

Page created in 0.585 seconds with 38 queries.