Encouragement needed...quick

• 21 Replies

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 10:59 »
John,

I bet if they were to sell those in tesco's as miniture veg they would cost a fortune
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 11:07 »
I have seen some stuff on the web that indicates Monsanto were not 100% honest about the safety aspects of Roundup which includes glyphosate but I think there is a big difference between occaisonal garden use and everyday use by a farmworker.

As for the 'old boys' on a site with sheds full of stuff - I think it's a bit like when nuclear power started - it was going to be the saviour, power so cheap it would not be worth having a meter. Then we learnt a bit more, Seven Mile Island and Chernobyl happened and our opinions changed.

I'm not strictly organic but I do think that if the bugs won't eat it, maybe I shouldn't :)

Care and moderation.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 16:44 »
I have it on good authority that Monsanto are less than honest about the actual effectiveness of their more recent range of herbicides as well. In fact less than honest about most things.

Love the tiny cauliflowers btw, reminds me of that episode of the good life.

twas very hot today, can't win, I had to come back from the plot having only done about 3 1/2 hours. I'm shattered.

My toms have now got mildew or something similar, and so have the corgettes. Oh yes and ants all over my rhubarb and all around one of my potatoe plants which now looks pretty ill. I've used an organic ant killer and some sulpher stuff for the mildew.

Sheesh, I'm glad my peas are ok.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Dawn in the North

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 17:20 »
Hi Nitiram,

I am a fellow beginner too, and I know how hard it can be.

I did'nt realise up here how late everything needs to be, and as a consequence, how short the growing season is going to be.

I planted marrows and squashes out about a month ago, when we had about a week of sun, they are all dead now.  But its a learning experience, I had back ups ready, which are now coming on and ready to plant out (under plastic this time), next time I am not starting squshes and marrows off until second week in may at the earlist.

My onions look weedy, I think I might use sets next time.

On the positive side, my rocket and other salad veg are looking great under the cloches, although I will have to think of a better way to cover with cloches next time - access is a large problem.

I am actually thinking about surrounding my plots with Garlic with the provisio that the slugs and snails have'nt touched it, but have been determined enough to get under my cloches and into my rocket.

I have'nt managed to get my while plot dug over yet, and by the time I will it will be a little let to plant.  However I find a "ces't le vie" attitude comes in handy.

I am sure the sun and warmth will come soon, and that, stuff will come right eventually.

Regards

Dawn
Dawn in the North
Aberdeen

nitiram

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 18:03 »
Ok, will give it a go..honest

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 19:45 »
Yep have to agree with you there Comic _muse I've been using Glyphosate to clear nettles and docks around the edge of the plot and it works great. I've used it on and off for ages now and never had any problems with it .  Like most chemicals treated with respect and used properly as per instruction it is OK.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006, 20:19 »
Dawn, it's been a weird old year so far and even in Cheshire we wouldn't have got away with many things last month.
My runners don't seem to have survived being planted out the other week.
You reckon your season is short - my pal in Roros, Norway planted out some conifers 10 years ago around his 'garden'.  They are now about 3 feet tall!
I actually would love to live there - Val has a different opinion :)

xx
Quick advice needed!

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 06:46
by m1ckz
xx
mixed feelings........need encouragement!

Started by mrsparsnip on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 18:26
by Oliver
xx
A quick one

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 23:36
by compostqueen
xx
just a quick photo

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 22:54
by DD.

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 27 queries.