Protecting courgette plants with coffee grinds

• 7 Replies

jamesbrownontheroad

Protecting courgette plants with coffee grinds
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:41 »
Morning all. In previous threads on slug protection I've asked about coffee grinds and had the impression that while effective they can generally have a negative effect on the soil make-up over time.

However, we're about to plant out some yellow courgette plants, and since I reckon they will be particularly attractive to our slithery slimy slugs, I was wondering if anyone knew whether coffee grinds would be particularly good/neutral/detrimental to the health of our plants if we piled some around the plants. We drink enough coffee and have only a few plants, so this would be one crop that would be easy to protect.

Specific coffee/courgette thoughts much appreciated. Ta

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
Re: Protecting courgette plants with coffee grinds
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:05 »
Don't know about any effects they may have on your corgettes, but I put them around my blueberry bush, because apparantly they like that - but after a while they went rock hard and the soil underneath went mouldy  :(   Saying all that though, the blueberry bush is still alive and well, I just haven't used any more coffee grounds on them  :)
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

Rachelina

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:10 »
I tried putting coffee grounds around my cauliflowers, but they went mouldy too. In the end I went for copper tape around the whole bed, which seems to have done the trick (I've only ever seen one snail trail in there - it must have teleported in).

Organic slug pellets?

Bozwell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 21:21 »
I have been using coffee grinds for a long time now and have only praise for the stuff.
At present it is around squashes, courgettes and marrows, and previously around peas beans and brassica's when they were young and vunerable. You only need just a fine dusting of it so remember it is just a deterant not a mulch. If it starts to go mouldy pull it away from the plant and put some fresh down until the plant is large enough not to be bothered by the slimey bu***rs.
I actually find it to the benefit of the soil much the same as tea leaves at retaining moisture once in the soil. I have concerns though about the continued use of slug pellets on the ground and what gets drawn up by the plant over time and in to the food chain. Of course I have no proof but that's why I choose coffee every time.
I do not drink coffee I look on ebay and buy a job lot for a couple of quid when it's past it's sell by date, that way I sprinkle it on dry around the plants and helps to keep it pretty fine.
I really hope you find this of use.
p.s kenko dark roast works best for me.
Can you hear voices?

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 20:16 »
Hi, why not grow your courg. up a stout pole, all you do is tie it to the pole as it grows you keep your courges off the ground and they are easier to pick. Once tried you will never go back, also it is much tidier.

jamesbrownontheroad

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 15:11 »
Thanks for the above, will be trying out both suggestions. Hopefully the slimy b*ggers won't be too offended by our £1.39 Lidl ground coffee...

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 18:07 »
i've been taking quite large amounts of free starbucks coffee grounds and lining all around the whole bed (so the coffee actually goes on the path not the bed) and it seems to be working so far.

Alternatively, we had success with crushed eggshells last year around our psb/squash.

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 21:06 »
Jay Dubya, I would love to see some pictures of the courgette4s growing up a pole, I have just planted some corgettes for the first time and am up for anything that gets the old fellers talking on the allotment!

How stout a pole are we talking here?

xx
Coffee grinds and dogs

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 21:16
by Eblana
xx
SOS - Tried Coffee Grinds- Lettuces Still Eaten By Slugs!!

Started by whitespirit66 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 12:39
by richyrich7
xx
Protecting strawberry plants?

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 22:22
by flitwickone
xx
Protecting plants from fresh bird poo

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 21:10
by Tigerhair

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 28 queries.