Asian Pears

• 3 Replies

always_mowing

Asian Pears
« on: April 03, 2007, 18:42 »
Hi Guys.
Just a wee update on the conundrum as to go forth and purchase an asian pear tree or go for something more steady like conference pear....
well....
i did it, i went for the unexpected and got a rather nice looking asian pear tree a couple of days ago....it's a little an the small side to fruit this year but i'm hoping for the best for next year.

It's got lovely white blossom with yellow centre, the lleaves are a very pale green, and the trunk is almost blacb with pale yellow dots....
it's a looker.

anyways...the variety is 'Shinseiki"
if you want an update an progress or any questions about it, i'm always around..
Tom.

fluffypebble

Asian Pears
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 18:43 »
Nice one, can you post a piccie?
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
Asian Pears
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 20:28 »
I bought one of those a couple of years ago - 'Shinseiki'. Nobody could give me any advice so I just went for it. The two main things to watch are that it's the first pear to flower (here anyway), and the fruit is ready to eat straight off the tree. So I have no idea how it keeps! I had 6 fruit in 2006, mainly due to covering every tiny branch with fleece every night in last April's frost - as it gets bigger, I will only be able to save a few. I hope yours does as well. I don't even know if it needs a pollinator, as some others were flowering before it was finished.

coatesi

Asian Pears
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:30 »
I have had an Asian Pear (Nashi) for approx 15 yrs. Although I live on the opposite side of the planet the tree is the same. They are prone to Codlin Moth and fire blight (canker) that is all. If you get a heavy crop thin the fruit out as the branches will break in heavy winds. I found them to be best left to ripen on the tree and eaten as picked. Delicious.
  Sadly mine is about to get the final chop as the canker has got into the trunk and it is unstable. :(
 coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

xx
nashi/asian pears

Started by fugit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 09, 2015, 12:54
by AnnieB
xx
Asian Pear Trees

Started by Greengirl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 08, 2008, 12:48
by Greengirl
xx
any asian herb growers out there..???

Started by skatenchips on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 15:03
by MiklovesHerb(s)
xx
Asian ladybirds spoiling our plums?

Started by Mrs Potts on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 02:00
by Endymion

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 29 queries.