Fruit Trees

• 6 Replies

teflon

• Experienced Member
Fruit Trees
« on: May 17, 2009, 19:36 »
I'm thinking of putting in a few fruit trees on my plot(apple, pear& peach probably)&have seen a few advertised at up to £50 for the three with a promise of fruit in the first year.I've spoken to a couple of my neighbours about this and they seem to think it would be better to try &grow from a seed(or pip) and just wait for them to fruit.
  Can anyone offer any advice?

DavidT

Re: Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 19:49 »
If you want fruit quite quickly then buy trees from your local garden centre. Don`t forget they will need pollinating partners. And forget the Peach, it will be more trouble than it`s worth. :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 19:50 »
Unless you're desperate to try the experiment, I wouldn't bother - it will take years to get to fruition, and you won't have any control over its size (it won't be grafted onto a smaller size rootstock, unlike those you can buy).  I'm not sure the seed would come true to type either.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 19:59 »
You can do interesting things with pip grown trees. From the ones I've grown, they took 4 years to fruit. Not true to type, but they were good to eat. You could look at fiHQU_p8rCY and 9WL58i5QbZQ

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 20:11 »
I recently got rid of a self seeded apple tree, it was horrible, or rather the apples were. Not sharp nor sweet, rather dry and had a bit of an aftertaste.  :tongue2:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 20:41 »
after two years of waiting, several damson stones I've had hanging around have finally started to grow this year - thats about 5 out of god knows how many kilos of stones. Although I'm happy to wait and see them through to young trees, I don't expect any fruit for years. I'd go down to the garden centres for trees, its too long a wait for pips and stones

Dominic

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 14:08 »
"I'm thinking of putting in a few fruit trees on my plot(apple, pear& peach probably)&have seen a few advertised at up to £50 for the three with a promise of fruit in the first year"

I would be amazed if they fruited any more than a notional amount in the first year.
You get them for a lot less than £17 a tree, about £8 is usual.

First, I'd make sure your allowed trees on your plot
Then, I'd buy some already grown trees on a suitable rootstock, You dont want a giant that needs 100sqm and produces 300kg of apples one week once a year
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 30 queries.