Will my veg survive the Battersea gales?

• 3 Replies

Adey

Will my veg survive the Battersea gales?
« on: May 17, 2009, 15:27 »
My first attempt ever at growing veg, & today the wind is gusting at about 50mph in my garden/allotment, all my spud tops are lying down & collards are looking look very wobbly. 

And the local fox cubs are digging random holes.

And a lack of sun seems to have put all seedlings on hold.

I need reassurance...  Will all recover or should I just give it up as a bad idea?  I've spent about £150 on compost, pots, seeds & Nemaslug so far but with a usable growing area of about 30 sq m, I'm questioning the logic of carrying on.

:( :( :(

Trillium

Re: Will my veg survive the Battersea gales?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 15:54 »
Plants can take only so much wind but nor should you give up just yet. I'd put up some posts with finer netting attached to the windward side of the garden to cut down the wind's force. Small plants like young toms, etc benefit from a slice of wood stuck in the ground in front of it to reduce the wind force. You could almost put things like tipped wheelbarrows, water butts, etc in front to cut the force down. Future plans should include hedges for windbreaks or some sort of fencing.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 17:12 »
ADEY
This is part the joy of allotmenteering man against nature, when this weather sorts itself out and stuff starts to grow and you start to enjoy the fruits of your work you will look back and think, if I did so well after such a bad start what will it be like when everything goes smoothly, if it was easy wouldn't it get boring, I put a seed in that day and so many days later I harvest a perfect veg no pests no weeds same every year would be no fun no pitting your wit against nature, Personally if gardening was like that I would give it up tomorrow,
The crop not much good the allotmenteer says "Ah well there is always next year"

Adey

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 18:50 »
Thanks both.  It was a low moment watching my efforts wrecked by the wind.

It's still gusting after nearly 5 hours non stop, I dont expect there to be much left by tomorrow,  but all that can be destroyed has been, I think the few remaining potates are holding up, & some of the smaller brassicas.

I admit I thought of all the potential pest damage before I took it on, but totally overlooked freak weather!

xx
Will my PSB survive?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 16, 2021, 18:56
by missmoneypenny
xx
Will my leeks survive?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 22:15
by vegmandan
xx
will these survive? (pics)

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 19:56
by DavidT
xx
will the peas survive the night?

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 20:33
by azubah

Page created in 0.632 seconds with 30 queries.