Cat Poo!

• 19 Replies

Dawnte

Cat Poo!
« on: May 15, 2009, 16:15 »
Hi everyone,

I've decided this year that I'm going to start growing veg.  Having 2 small children, though, I'm starting out small--I thought I'd try growing courgettes and runner beans  in the garden this year, and depending on how that works out I'll add to my repertoire next year.

Anyway, to get to the point I have 2 cats who I do love, BUT....I need to figure out how to keep them from "fertilizing" my plant bed.  I don't want to use the gel, because of the children and because I'd rather keep unnecessary chemicals away from my food, but I also don't like the idea of something I'm going to eat growing in cat poop.  A friend of mine suggested putting straw down around the plants, but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions?

Thanks!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Cat Poo!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 16:40 »
Hi Dawnte,

the subject about cats and veg / flower patches comes up on the site every so often and there are some rather bizzarre suggestions put forward... do a search and you'll see what I mean.

My suggestion (as a cat lover) would simply be to put up posts and netting.  Not only will this keep the cats off (as long as they don't find a way in - make it cat proof!) but depending on the netting you get you could also keep away butterflies that lay eggs on your brassicas.  Lots of folks have had success with the green netting that you get when builders have scaffolding up.  If there are any building / renovation works going on near to you, you may be able to get it for free if you ask.

Hope this helps :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 16:52 »
I use this from Wilkinsons.  Keeps out butterflies and birds and I'm sure if you fix it properly it will keep out the cats :)

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 17:35 »
Hi everyone,

I've decided this year that I'm going to start growing veg.  Having 2 small children, though, I'm starting out small--I thought I'd try growing courgettes and runner beans  in the garden this year, and depending on how that works out I'll add to my repertoire next year.

Anyway, to get to the point I have 2 cats who I do love, BUT....I need to figure out how to keep them from "fertilizing" my plant bed.  I don't want to use the gel, because of the children and because I'd rather keep unnecessary chemicals away from my food, but I also don't like the idea of something I'm going to eat growing in cat poop.  A friend of mine suggested putting straw down around the plants, but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions?

Thanks!

an outdoor litter tray perhaps ,and some fine netting over your crops.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 17:36 »
I thought that netting to keep off butterfly had to be smaller mesh than the wilkinson one ??? Certainly keep the cats off though :)

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 17:44 »
nets or chicken wire or see if they have a prefererd location and then avoid it or plant in pots or provide better scratting conditions elsewhere, though they do love a good seedbed.........  Or get a dog. Dogs wreck the plants long before you get to eat them - problem solved.
R

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 17:56 »
It keeps the cabbage whites off my brassicas Mum :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 17:58 »
Fair enough wilkos is easy for me on the bus, so guess where i'm going tomorrow ::)

penance

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 18:11 »
I have 4 cats and use netting to keep them off the veg beds.

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 18:23 »
I have used netting and this year I have just put in some sticks. To keep both the cats and the birds out. So far it is working. Once the plants get going. My cat won't go in there. :)

Dawnte

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 19:40 »
Or get a dog. Dogs wreck the plants long before you get to eat them - problem solved.
R

I have one of those, but he's sensible enough to stay out of the beds. :)

I'll have a look out for the netting.  I can tolerate the cats pooping in my flower beds--I don't like it particularly, but I understand the appeal of freshly forked-over earth.  I just don't want it around anything I'm going to eat.  :lol:

Litter trays of any sort are out of the question right now, with a very curious and mobile baby around.  (In my experience, babies tend to gravitate to litter trays. ::)  And dead snails :blink:, but I digress.)

Thanks for the tips, everyone. :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 20:16 »
Well, I don't own a cat of my own, but the neighbours cats, much prefer our garden, to their own  >:( >:( I bought one of those sonar things 2 weeks ago, at great expense, it was absolute rubbish, especially when somebodies cat, used the garden about 3 ft in front of it.  I took it back for a refund !!!
Pea mesh works well for us, as does, sprigs of Gorse or Holly, oh and curry powder. Good luck, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 22:19 »
I use a green plastic mesh which not only helps to keep cats off, it stops the starlings pinching seedlings & has also prevented snails reaching them too, the silver trail on top of the mesh testifies, especially when the veg remains intact  :). Cant say same for slugs tho  >:(

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:34 »
I have two cats of my own and on occassion have found a lovely big turd right in the middle of my onions or beetroot  >:(  I lay twiggy branches over them until they are quite established and then put netting up held down by lots of tent pegs - seems to work, but every now and then one of the little b******rs get in. 

Make sure that when you remove the cat poo, you "wash" down the area using diluted washing up liquid and plenty of water to get rid of the scent, as apparantly they like using the same place to do their business!!!

Good luck
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 10:52 »
If you are growing beans and courgettes raise them in pots and then plant them out. This will mean that you do not need a fine cat attractive seedbed. Cats prefer dry soil. If you can keep the soil damp they do not usually use it

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 39 queries.