Training a new grape vine in a greenhouse

• 5 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Training a new grape vine in a greenhouse
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:47 »
I've planted a grape vine at the North end of my greenhouse (planted outside, trained "through the glass").

I want it to grow along the greenhouse, preferable along the "sloping roof," rather than the "wall"

What I've read seems to deal more with pruning back to the initial stem ... so I'd appreciate any advice on getting the plant up, and along the roof, and then setting up a pruning regime from that point onwards.

(Greenhouse is 30' x 10' and will also be used for Summer Crops - Toms, Cues, Peppers and some early Lettuce, Beans, Container Spuds as well as winter crops of Lettuce and Swiss Chard)
IMG_4419_GreenhouseGrapeVine_20Apr2009.jpg

Trillium

Re: Training a new grape vine in a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 14:54 »
I'm not sure how you'd do it in a greenhouse setting as I've grown mine outside and as you mention. But if you can get hold of the book of the old telly series Victorian Kitchen Garden for fruit and vegetable growing, I believe they cover it there as the old greenhouses used to do it the way you want. Other than that, find an elderly Italian veg grower who will have done it all his/her life and can advise you.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 15:08 »
Just found this which might be helpful; just ignore the dead sheep part  ;)

http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/vine_fruits/#GrapePlantingGuidance

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 17:56 »
Very useful, thanks.  So I will let it ramble along some selected leaders this year, prune them back to a pencil-thick point, and allow leaders to grow again, and prune back, for the next two years.

I will remove all laterals for the first two years, and all grape bunches.  In year three I should be able to allow laterals to grow and bear fruit.

The leaders will be along the house, and the laterals across/vertically.

I'm inclined to grow three leaders - one at the eaves, one at the ridge, and one in the middle - but maybe a single leader, in the middle would do? and I could then take laterals off that - up and down. (or maybe a leader at the Eaves would be easier because the laterals only need to grow up :)

They refer to the variety I have as follows "BLACK HAMBURG - The original gardener’s grape – fantastic for lots of good fruit, if grown under cover" which sounds exciting :)

Knoblauch

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 21:43 »
Thanks Trillium - did mine today and got part of it right, mixing compost in and the 30cm wires.  But the correct way of training les recoltes sounds quite complicated - I'll just jouer par l'oreille I think.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 21:57 »
Very useful, thanks.  So I will let it ramble along some selected leaders this year, prune them back to a pencil-thick point, and allow leaders to grow again, and prune back, for the next two years.

I will remove all laterals for the first two years, and all grape bunches.  In year three I should be able to allow laterals to grow and bear fruit.

The leaders will be along the house, and the laterals across/vertically.

I'm inclined to grow three leaders - one at the eaves, one at the ridge, and one in the middle - but maybe a single leader, in the middle would do? and I could then take laterals off that - up and down. (or maybe a leader at the Eaves would be easier because the laterals only need to grow up :)

They refer to the variety I have as follows "BLACK HAMBURG - The original gardener’s grape – fantastic for lots of good fruit, if grown under cover" which sounds exciting :)

That's the variety we have, Kristen and it is very good indeed  :D I have trained a leader along the eaves each side and one along the top, and keep it well contained by hard pruning each autumn --- you know where to cut back to because you have to cut into brown wood not green stem,as the ripe wood is where the fruiting buds are. I don't have the space you do as my green house is only 8ft long though

Just a note of caution though -- it does spring into growth very early each year and the new leaves can easily get badly scorched if we have a sunny spring. Mine has lots of burnt leaf edges this year. Something to consider as you are planning ahead.

Hope it goes well  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
new grape vine

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 19:35
by andy dewar
xx
Grape Vine

Started by bobw1956 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 19:18
by bobw1956
xx
Grape vine

Started by Allotmentbabe1968 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 21:56
by hasbeans
xx
Got my grape vine

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 19:38
by mickwood

Page created in 0.73 seconds with 38 queries.