Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.

• 27 Replies

mkhenry

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« on: March 31, 2007, 22:27 »
If want to get a gardener uptight just mention slugs or snails.  We can all tell a tale or two.  We all also have our own ways of dealing with all the guests, pests, blights and blighters that invade our patches and beds.    With far less chemicals available,thank goodness, the old ways are just itching to burst forth to save us from having our vegs eaten away totally.   So oldbie or newbie how about sharing your knowledge so we can all pick up a tip or two on how to get rid of those unwanted little so and so"s.  These forums are already doing this in so many ways and the expertise in some of the listings is outstanding, and always freely given. I doubt if you could find a better qualified group in the whole country.    I am aware that this is an old chestnut and it will have been covered before,but things change and there are like me a lot of new members.    So to kick off I offer the following.                                                      To get rid of Moles put one of those dreadful musical birthday or Christmas cards down its run.   He will be gone, unlikely to return. :D  :D  :D
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Huzey

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:15 »
To get rid of Moles put one of those dreadful musical birthday or Christmas cards down its run. He will be gone, unlikely to return.  

How will you know when his birthday is?  :D  

My coat? Why, thank you.
All the gear.......No idea!

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 08:53 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Reminds me I was once told that to deter a cat digging in you garden ... you need LION poo  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  ... well OK this is England ... first find your lion .... here kitty kitty !!!!!  :roll:  :lol:

But seriously ... slugs ... they don't like coffee ... cheapest nastyest yuk you can find from the cheap shelf ... dilute and then water over ground a few days before you sow seeds.  

I am also told that they love rolled oats  :shock:   Anybody tried this ???
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 10:15 »
I am still new to growing veg but have had the dreaded battle with the slug!! little b****rs.  So far (ive avoided using pellets, due to wanting to as organic as possible).  Last year round my runners I put a pile of sharp sand, only one fell foul of the slug out of sixteen plants.  I bought a box of slug protection cant remeber the name of it its like a grey type of powdery grit, i have planted some lettuces in the green house earth and placed a barrier around the whole lot, they have been in the ground now for two weeks, and not one has been eaten yet.  I bought the stuff in wyevale garden centre last year it was 2.99 and advertised as being organic, safe for children and wildlife, no chemicals at all in it, but the only downside Is it wont go that far.
My Blog  www.redwelliesandco.blogspot.com

A force to be reckoned with

crowndale

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 10:22 »
I used nematodes last year but used it a bit late so didn't do much, but this year when digging I haven't seena single slug or snail and usually the garden is crawling with them even in day light.  So am trying nematodes again this year but from the beginning of the saeson (now!) and not the end.  reminds must do that today.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 10:50 »
My project for this year is to create a small pond, to encourage frogs into my patch so they can eat the bloomin things, anyone got any tips on building one, and out of something recycled? cant spend money on making it

Farmer Fred

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 11:11 »
the pond idea is something i'm considering for the garden, in order to get some frogs. the other option i am considering is getting a pair of hedgehogs, as apparantly they like nothing better than slugs for their dinner
trying to be organic

Trillium

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 15:58 »
Unless we get a rainy year, we don't see that many slugs, and when we do, I've already got rings of finely broken egg shells around suspcetible plants when they first went in. I encourage local toads to live here by putting out upside down terra cotta pots with a broken side opening big enough for them to hide in during the heat of the day under a plant. Birds get free access to the plants and slugs. And in desperation, I might use a pureed and strained concotion of water, garlic, onion and hot pepper sauce sprayed over problem spots. Reapply after every rain. This year I'm putting out some covered slug traps using water and baking yeast.  8)

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 19:11 »
I dint know about the coffee or the yeast and water so will try them this season. I  generally use Somerfields bitter cause no one drinks this stuff. :shock:
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

Annie

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 19:44 »
I find it`s the little black slugs that do the damage,I use the wild life friendly pellets when all else fails but prefer the torch and wellie approaches you feel you are achieving something only ever find slugs though the birds get the snails.

WG.

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 21:58 »
Quote from: "redwellies"
I bought a box of slug protection cant remeber the name of it its like a grey type of powdery grit
Diatomaceous earth?  Did it work??

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 22:10 »
I've got some 'Safe' pellets, which are supposed to be safe for wildlife/pets/chlidren - it seems like you need to use a lot though to get the benefit - has anyone else tried these? Is it any good?
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

ziggywigs

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 22:23 »
Garlic kills slugs.  If you use a garlic spray on plants this reduces the amount of munching by snails and slugs.   Just drop a garlic clove into a sprayer bottle of water and leave to steep and use as necessary.

Annie

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 22:38 »
Fatgaz-I`now use the `friendly`slug pelets but don`t use too many,I think they work since the scoffing of crops decreases but I did find the little corpses that you get with the old style pellets more satisfying!

muntjac

Slugs, Bugs, And Drugs.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 22:41 »
Quote from: "Annie"
Fatgaz-I`now use the `friendly`slug pelets but don`t use too many,I think they work since the scoffing of crops decreases but I did find the little corpses that you get with the old style pellets more satisfying!

can i just say

you have a nasty streak in you  :evil: ...... :lol:
still alive /............

clip
Bugs

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 12:47
by mumofstig
clip
What are these bugs?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 01, 2013, 21:04
by gobs
xx
bugs

Started by bella13 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 21:58
by parttimer
clip
What are these bugs?

Started by Seagull on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 10, 2020, 14:59
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 36 queries.