using roundup?

• 54 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
using roundup?
« on: May 07, 2009, 23:19 »
OK, so I just got the lotty and have popped in a few bed already but sionce getting back form a 3 weks break the weeds on the area I hadn't cleared yet have become MONSTERS! I started to clear one area and quickly reaslised that it will take me a LOOONG time to clear it properly so....

an old boy on the lotty suggested round up? I know it'll ruin my idea of being organic but to be honest I just won't be able to clear it in time if I want to get it all up and running?

Am I right in thinking that it is safe to plant after 6 weeks of application??

cheers

Mick

Salmo

Re: using roundup?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 00:04 »
Roundup has a few rules which must be observed if it is to work.
- It needs to be applied to green leaves.
- The leaves need to be dry.
- Application must be followed by 6 hours of dry weather.

If there are crops anywhere near it is best applied with a watering can rather than a sprayer to avoid accidental drift of small droplets. A dribble bar attached to the can instead of a rose is a good way to apply it. They are available at garden centres.

As soon as Roundup is dry on the leaves you can plant into the soil. The crop will come up, or the transplanted seedlings will thrive, while the weeds die. Do not disturb or break up the weeds for at least 10 days.

You will usually see no signs of it working for at least a week. The first signs are yellowing of the growing points. After 10 days Roundup will have penetrated throughout the weeds. At this point you can dig them out ,or leave them where they are. They are dead.

Sometimes there is apparent regrowth of weeds. This is often not regrowth but new weeds emerging that had no green leaf when Roundup was applied.

Roundup is quickly broken down in the soil and its one-off use is a good way to get a head start on a weedy plot.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 00:17 »
 :ohmy: You had a three week break at this time of year??? There's too much to do for that.  ;) Pleeease try and think of another method than poisons. Glyphosate may be safe for subsequent plants once it hits the soil, but the solution it is carried in still affects soil organisms. These will allow you to get through the weeds like a dose of salts (oops, damn poisons again  ::)) and they are cheaper here.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:50 »
Lots of people go organic after the first clearing of weeds, go for it if you think you dont have the time to clear it all by hand.  I have used onlu a very small amount to knock back a small area and its done a cracking job its going to be a while before i get to digging it over. i have plastic in place over the top now.

What salmo has said is top advice.
Thanks
Kris

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 07:51 »
Awsome, I'll use it!

Sorry oldbean but its just not practical if I want to plant stuff this year!! had lots of docks as well so wouldn't want an adze to be chopping up those damn roots!!

OK, now the 'well its not exactly organic' guilt can kick in....but at least I'm growing!!

Thanks guys....again  :blush:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:10 »
There is a version of Glyphosphate (active ingredient in Roundup) called "Resolva" which also contains Diquat (the active ingredient in Weedol I think), and (discounting the over-hype of the marketing spin) an improved surfactant (the chemical which makes it stick to the plant).

Anyway, the idea is that the Diquat will make the plants go yellow overnight, and then the glyphosphate will take a couple of weeks to properly kill the plant. The benefit being you can see where you have been, and immediately re-treat anything you missed, or that comes up afresh.

fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:25 »
I think it is reasonable for you to clear the weeds with Round Up and still call yourself Organic. Its how you treat your soil and crops after that, that matters.

I say if you need it to get you going then use it.

99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:44 »
I use roundup as and when needed. I would love to be totally organic but honestly for me it just isn't practical.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 20:23 »
I use roundup as and when needed. I would love to be totally organic but honestly for me it just isn't practical.

I echo Sadgits comments, in an ideal world, but  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 20:28 »
Me too  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AndyRVTR

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 21:38 »
Me too... used it last year and used it this year... no doubt I will probably use it next year too... blooming weeds!  >:(

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 22:52 »
Weeds are normal and a sign your plot is fertile.  I don't get this weeds are evil fixation.  Growing your own is an opportunity to grow veg healthily, you can buy chemical drenched ones from the shops

Still, you do as you like on your own plot

peterjf

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 23:12 »
using glyphosate (round-up), will give you the edge you will need to get on top of your new plot,

25ml mixed with 5lt water sprayer should do 200sq yrds then leave for 2-3 weeks until you see the bxxxdy weeds turn yellow, then dig over

we used gyphosate to give us the edge 5 yrs ago ,

after we applied the 1st spraying we dug our plot over and left it for 2-3 weeks

we dug it over and left it to recover our backs as well as the land  ,

then we got a 2nd rush of young weeds popping up ,

again we applied glyphosate , and that was the key factor  for us ,

the only weeds we get now are dug out , weeding between crops is done every week

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 23:17 »
compostqueen, when you have only X amount of growing space and weeds take up a good portion of this valuable space, getting rid of the majority is a necessity rather than a fixation. Weeds have the rest of the world to grow in.
I echo the thoughts of Richy and Sadgit....necessity at times, not choice. My back isn't made of iron nor my time unlimited.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 00:26 »
So, reading this am I right in thinking....

Spray, let it dry and work for 10 days. Once the weeds start turning yellow I can dig them into the soil. Then I have the choice of either A) planting my crops and lifting weeds as and when they return everyday or B) waiting for the second growth of weeds, spray again and then 10 days later I can plant my crops??  :blink:

xx
Roundup -what next

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:23
by johnfh
xx
Using Roundup

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 22:16
by shaun
xx
roundup

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:02
by Salmo
xx
where to buy roundup?

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 22:44
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 29 queries.