Composting bins

• 12 Replies

Iain j

• another allotment blog
Composting bins
« on: May 07, 2009, 22:58 »
I was wondering which are the best composting bins the Darlek type or the wooden type.
@ home I have the Darlek type but on the allotment I am thinking of making a composter out of pallets.

If I make it out of pallets how is the best way and what should I need to use as a lid ?
iain

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
Re: Composting bins
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 23:38 »
I've not really used the dalek types, but people I know who have used them don't seem that impressed. If you have a lot of green waste then I expect you need something bigger than the dalek anyway.

In my garden i have a compost heap that is about 2m x2m, but I need room to put in my grass cuttings and hedge trimmings.  My sister has a lottie and all the people on her site have large compost heaps, typically made from old doors !

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 00:26 »
I've got 2 black open bottom daleks, so so, wouldn't write home about them. I have a Green Joanna dalek too which has a plastic bottom so stays wetter inside and the worms seem to like it more. There's still a problem if there's lots of waste other than from the kitchen as the volume isn't that large.

For a worm jobby this looked interesting. Several around the plot means you have to dump the stuff only once, the worms do the rest.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:53 »
A lot of folk like to make the large open bins from 3 pallets (open at front) but I prefer a closed bin that I can control how much water/rain gets into the compost and keep critters out. The link shows the basic stackable shape that can be changed as I accumulate either more or less compost, and I'll make a lid for each of 3 units that I want...one for current addition, one for composting from last year, a third for as yet unused manure.

http://www.digitalseed.com/composter/bins/stackablebin.html

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:40 »
I've had one of the black darlek bins for over a year, I was planning on having some compost ready for if and when I got an allotment...it still ain't ready!!

So, not impressed  :(

I'll be making one of the pallet types shown on GW a few weeks back as soon as I can.

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:46 »

I've got two daleks, found them pretty good to be honest although hubby has nicked one to grow his monster parnsnips in  :nowink: :wacko:  at the alltoment we've got three pallet made composts, all together and just put an old bit of carpet on the top.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 15:10 »
I've got two daleks, they're ok but would be better if I put some effort into mixing or turning the compost and making sure it wasn't too dry - a bit of time on my part would reap better rewards I think :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 15:12 »
get some chickens... best compost accelerator known to man  ;)
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

David.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 15:23 »
I've got 8 daleks, 1 (home made) beehive lookalike in the garden, 1 wire mesh cage type, 1 round plastic segmental type and 7 large open bays made from corrugated iron sheets.

Had the daleks for 3 years and generally just put the kitchen scraps in them (fed up with rats) + plus loads of pulp, etc. from apple pressing (approx. 1,000 lbs p.a.) and I still haven't filled them up yet!

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 15:42 »
I have a pallet type one with removable bits at the front – makes turning the heap much easier. On top I put a bit of old pond liner with another pallet to hold it down – if you don’t do something like this then the foxes can come along and make a right old mess, as I found out!

Rowan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 15:56 »
I made one out of recycled wood/pallets, three bays with a lid.

For best results you really need to keep the heat in and regulate the moisture. Saying that mine is 2 weeks old so i'll have to let you know how it goes!

Iain j

• another allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 16:31 »
cheers for the replies

Regards Iain

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 07:45 »
When I had rabbits my daleks were excellent - pretty much everything put in there (including veg peelings, grass, weeds) composted pretty quick and the level always seemed to be at about 3 quarters full whenever I wanted to put more stuff in  :)

Now we have a guinea pig they aren't so good and I struggle to get the volume through, despite the addition of a bit of manure and plenty of wee! In fact I have started a large open compost heap which I'll grow my squashes on this year to save a bit of space.

xx
Bokashi bins

Started by ck2day on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 13:54
by Kerry
xx
compost bins?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 08:00
by daisy1990
clip
Metal bins

Started by Wilf on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2021, 08:56
by lettice
xx
Compost Bins

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 21:50
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 28 queries.