Bokashi bins

• 2 Replies

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Bokashi bins
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:01 »
Hi, have just been reading about Bokashi bins on the net, has anyone had any experience of these, and are they as good as they are claimed to be?

Claire

12 Chooks (awaiting more), 2 ponies, 1 Guinuea Pig, 2 Kids, 1 OH and 1 full time job that keeps me away from the garden for too long.

Lynne

Bokashi bins
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:26 »
I know my brother has one, but I think he is a little disappointed with it. I'm not sure why. A bit slow I think and quite small. I have a wormery, so haven't tried one.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Re: Bokashi bins
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 13:54 »
Quote from: "ck2day"
Hi, have just been reading about Bokashi bins on the net, has anyone had any experience of these, and are they as good as they are claimed to be?

Hi Claire,

I've got two of them, had them for a couple of years. Once full you're supposed to leave it for a couple of weeks to "stew", so I got a twin set so I could start another off when the first one was full. The bokashi bran "pickles" the waste and when it's done it looks like sauerkraut!

If you use the bran you can drain off the liquid and dilute it for all sorts, like cleaning the loo, fertiliser, window cleaning. But the liquid smells foul, and the smell lingers !!

The bran has to be kept in a fridge coz If it gets warm it ferments and smells so, to be honest, since I ran out of bran last time,  I just use them as kitchen waste holders until I go down the garden to the compost heap.

Mine were quite expensive but got them coz I had vouchers one birthday, but I think they've come down in price quite a bit since then.

Only my opinion, but it's easier, and probably a lot cheaper, to buy a good bin for indoors, and then transfer to the heap !

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Kerry.
Mondays are just weeds in the lawn of life !

xx
Bokashi

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 08:31
by JaK
xx
bokashi

Started by yewtreemob on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2007, 15:34
by Trillium
xx
Bokashi composting

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 15:55
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
any bokashi experts?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 19:14
by DavidT

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 36 queries.