Lettuce growing???

• 34 Replies

mad mark

• Experienced Member
Lettuce growing???
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:49 »
Who grows lettuce in the ground, do you put anything around them to keep the slugs and soil off them or do you just go au naturel??
I have some in pots and some in the ground and both are doing really well. How much space do lettuce need to reach their full potential??
Thanks in advance :)
When will the sun shine? 8)
Mad Mark

HLS

• Experienced Member
Re: Lettuce growing???
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:01 »
I didn't do anything to the lettuces except thin them out when necessary last year, but I noticed that one variety did suffer more from the slugs than the other type I grew (Bronze Arrowhead was the one that did best), so I might keep a closer eye on them this year.  I don't do anything to keep the soil off them - I just wash them well in a bowl of water before eating.

Spacing will depend on your variety and I'm useless at remembering that sort of thing offhand.  Mostly I just ate every other lettuce whenever they started looking crowded, but I'm sure that's not the most scientific way of doing it!

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:18 »
Who grows lettuce in the ground, do you put anything around them to keep the slugs and soil off them or do you just go au naturel?

Used coffee grounds around the edge of the bed help deter slugs. Removing any in the planting area first! + I will be adding some home made slug traps as well.

http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:30 »
I just popped about a dozen under the plum tree, really close together but figured it was that or loose them all together. So I went for put them in and hope, if they are smaller than I would buy I dont mind at all, I will just use two.

I sprinkled slug pellets down and so far so good  :D

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:19 »
there is one plot on our site that has an imaculate ( not one nibbled!!!) row of  about 20 butterhead lettuce  , no protection, no slug pellets just sitting there. I admire them everytime I pass by and envy them. Mind you  what they are going to do with so many lettuce all ready at the same time I do not know but  they do look good. :D

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:49 »
What variety of lettuce is everyone growing this year???
Oriental mixed variety leaves doing well....
All year round lettuce going well in pots and in the ground with slug pellets around. Has anyone grown any unusual varieties worth trying in the British summer!! :)

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 14:28 »
I'm growing Bronze Arrowhead and Flame (at the seedling stage at the moment, but Bronze Arrowhead did well last year) and later in the year I'll be trying Reine de Glaces, all from the Real Seed Company.  I've also got a little gem type that I think came with John's book - that'll go in somewhere when I've worked out where to put it!  The flea beetles had a bit of a go at the mixed leaves last year, so I'm not sure I'll bother with them again.

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 15:21 »
I am growing
Little gem pearl, very good
little gem,
Suttons cos leaf salad,
Lettuce cos Lentissima a montare 3 (italian kitchen- Not a very good lettuce to grow using up the packet,
Taste of italy Lettuce bionda Lenta a montare again using up the packet won't get again,
Italian kitchen Misticanza - mixed leaves,
Lettuce cos Parris Island - very good this one,
Chartwell lettuce a cos - very trusty good lettuce
Mini iceberg hearts - size of a tennis ball grow very easy have yet to taste but looking good if not very tasty but I don't like lettuce anyway so will see what OH says about it.
Salad Bowl thats for me only one I like not a lettuce eater, this is very good infact great love it grow it in an large what they fill the shelves with mushroom box.

I only do cut and come again nowdays as find its works best for me.  Mine are in the garden though so easy to do.  Never had any trouble with slugs touch wood.  I have a high rise bed and do the rest in the boxes mentioned above.  Sometimes get small holes could be flea beetle?

Oh and mine are squashed together which is fine for cut and come again, just cut leaves off as needed. The cos only has an inch or two  between them.

As lettuce doesn't like heat I reckon they do very well in our summer LOL
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 15:26 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 15:31 »
Oh, and an unknown butterhead type given to me as seedlings by a neighbouring allotmenter.  The ones on the plot got a bit squashed by things blowing over from a plot on the other side on Monday, but the ones at home in a window box are looking happier.

shaun

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 19:22 »
webbs wonderfull ,great lettuce pick it young or let it go big,dont bolt as much as others and they taste lovely, 8)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

shaun

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 19:25 »
forgot to say,slug pellets around them

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 20:18 »
webbs wonderfull ,great lettuce pick it young or let it go big,dont bolt as much as others and they taste lovely, 8)

Yup best lettuce i reckon..an oldie but a goodie :D and some red cos 'pandero' new to me this year and old faithful red 'lollo rosso' just for a bit of colour. last sowing of five year old pkt of mixed lettuce from Seeds of Italy. And sorry but can't have a salad without rocket in it :wacko:

Bombers

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 21:37 »
Did someone mention Webbs Wonderful......  :D

Can't beat 'em!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

shaun

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 21:43 »
great looking lettuce bomber  8) I like them on a butty with nowt else but a tadge of salad cream  ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 21:46 »
That looks flamin YUM! Off to wilkos I go....
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Growing Lettuce

Started by xhappychickx on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 09:38
by xhappychickx
xx
growing lettuce

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 12:14
by Paul Plots
xx
growing lettuce

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2020, 08:52
by rowlandwells
xx
Help with growing lettuce and greens

Started by greenie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2006, 11:11
by John

Page created in 0.645 seconds with 30 queries.